ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

NewEgg

<< < (5/7) > >>

Dormouse:
This is EXACTLY why I will never use NewEgg again!  While the service was great, the prices outstanding, and the selection unbeatable - I just can't accept that their method of "protecting my credit card" is the best (or even desireable) way.  -steeladept (July 17, 2008, 12:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Your problem is precisely the reason that you were attracted to them in the first place. They keep their prices so low (with service etc good) precisely by reducing or cutting out all unnecessary risks and costs. And one of those risks is delivery to another address, that unfortunately you find necessary. In the context of their business as a whole, they have obviously decided that they are better off without customers who require that service.

mrainey:
And one of those risks is delivery to another address, that unfortunately you find necessary.
--- End quote ---

Is it really so unusual to want to buy something (a gift, perhaps) and have it shipped directly to another address?

f0dder:
And one of those risks is delivery to another address, that unfortunately you find necessary.
--- End quote ---

Is it really so unusual to want to buy something (a gift, perhaps) and have it shipped directly to another address?-mrainey (July 17, 2008, 07:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
I wonder what happens most: people buying stuff for other people, or evil bastards abusing stolen credit cards? :/

Dormouse:
Is it really so unusual to want to buy something (a gift, perhaps) and have it shipped directly to another address?-mrainey (July 17, 2008, 07:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think it is at all unusual. It's just that there's a higher rate of theft and risk to the retailer when things are shipped to another address. So firms on tight margins can easily decide that they cannot afford to have that business on those margins.

J-Mac:
Newegg has been kind of schizophrenic in my experience.  They are basically a very good online vendor but every now and then I have had a case with their support where it seemed like I had just entered the Twilight Zone!

At one time early in their life their shipping & handling charges were all over the spectrum and generally on the high side.  E.g., if I placed six items in my shopping cart, each having had a S&H price on the product page, they would sometimes add up in my cart to a total amount that was much greater than the sum of the separate S&H's listed.  I had a couple of email correspondences with their shipping customer support (Stateside, not overseas at the time) and it was actually very productive. They even implemented two of my suggestions almost immediately and then wrote me to tell me about it and also to give me a sizable coupon as a "Thank you" token.  I was appropriately surprised and grateful.

Yet their S&H can still go haywire occasionally, and their Customer Service is not quite as competent anymore, unfortunately.

Recently I tried to purchase a Canon MP830 All-In-One that was on sale in a promotional email I received.  I had already purchased one of these two years earlier from Newegg and it is excellent, but wearing out a little.  The promo price showed as $205 with free S&H.  Cool!  So I placed it in my shopping cart directly from the Promo page that the email directs you to.  However in my cart the AIO was listed as $215.99 with $4.99 S&H.  Uh-oh.  I double-checked the ad and the cart was definitely wrong.  So I wrote immediately to Newegg support because the promotion was only for a day or two.  The response I got was both mystifying and disappointing. Here's my message and their response:

to:     [email protected]
date   Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 5:56 PM
subject   Newegg.com - >(Mail #17022008672665)*
Item#:N82E16828102008 & N82E16828102

Message: You have a combo promotion that states "Your Price $205.00 after $10.00 Instant Rebate" on this page: http://promotions.newegg.com/printers/021308/index.html.  It also said the shipping is free.  Yet when I placed it in my cart it is priced at $215.99, plus when I enter my ZIP it adds another $4.99 to that total. I already purchased this same printer from Newegg back in August of 2006 and it is so good I am willing to buy another just in case.  And that promo is what prompted me. But I just thought you should know that something is not working with the pricing on that promo.

Thanks! Jim McGxxxx

Requested Mail Copy: Yes

> Dear Customer,
> Thank you for contacting Newegg.
> Unfortunately we apologize for the inconvenience, our web site is run at
> real time and current market value of the items. We do not price protect or
> price match any of our prices may change in minutes, hours or days without
> notice.
>
> * Please note that an item advertised as "free" in a combo special may still
> incur a shipping charge.
> If you have any further questions or concerns, please visit our FAQs page.
> If you still need assistance, please feel free to email me directly and I
> will be happy to assist you.
>
> Thank you,
> Martin Ruiz

Sounded like they thought I was looking for some sort of lowest price-matching, but I only wanted the promotional price offered.  I did reply to this and got an auto-responder reply, but never did get anything after that.

I do still buy there, but I am very careful to check my shopping cart to make sure it matches what the product page says, and then also the confirmation to make sure they only charged what they were supposed to charge.  I don't quite trust their systems anymore.  And I certainly don't trust their overseas support!

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version