ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Accessing the contents of another computer's hard drive

(1/5) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
I have been looking for a way to do this, without having to use AutoHotkey to check for and move files until I get around to getting on the computer and sorting them out manually, and I am not sure exactly HOW to do it.

Basically, I need to be able to access (read/write) the contents of another computer's C:\ drive - the computer is on my LAN, and I have an account on the system (administrator rights). I don't have a monitor for the computer so I end up doing it the hard way and connecting (\\MyComputerName) and then using LogMeIn to get the files the rest of the way. Not fun.

I have searched Google and come up dry, so does anyone know of a way I could do this? I need *complete* C:\ access, just as if I was actually using that computer. Installing Linux and setting that up IS an option, if there is a way to do it through *nix...

-Brandon

f0dder:
First of all, you need to disable "simple file sharing" - and then you need to grant some access rights. Make sure you have identically named (and passworded) users on both machines, that makes things easier. On some windows versions, you can access the "administrative shares", on some you can't.

wreckedcarzz:
Got it!

I had to tell XP to share the entire C:\ (root), and then the drive appeared under its \\ComputerName

I have XP Home so I don't have the Admin Shares, but all I needed was file read/write access. Now to just disable the requirement for password authentication, and it is one-click access!

f0dder:
I have XP Home so I don't have the Admin Shares, but all I needed was file read/write access. Now to just disable the requirement for password authentication, and it is one-click access!
-wreckedcarzz (June 17, 2008, 08:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
Umm. Disable password authentication? You do realize this is an insanely bad thing to do, right? And that all you need are identical usernames with identical passwords on both boxes, in order to do things safely?

Deozaan:
First of all, you need to disable "simple file sharing" - and then you need to grant some access rights. Make sure you have identically named (and passworded) users on both machines, that makes things easier. On some windows versions, you can access the "administrative shares", on some you can't.
-f0dder (June 17, 2008, 06:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Where do you go to disable Simple File Sharing? I don't understand why it's so hard to get XP to let me access my files, but usually I have to resort to an external drive to accomplish anything. :-(

I have XP Pro SP3, FYI.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version