ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Jungle Disk Mini-Review: offsite data storage

<< < (4/9) > >>

mwb1100:
lWill probably get Jungle Disk anyway cause I think it allows SFFS to use partial file update
Also, it's great to be able to browse your backups & keep an overview and have it all so accessible
-tomos (July 02, 2008, 04:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure whether or not JungleDisk will allow SFFS partial file update to work (but it might). Usually partial file update requires some corresponding software running on the server, but maybe SFFS can get around this somehow by keeping a database on the local machine.

What I do know is that with JD Plus you get partial file update automatically (but JD Plus is an additional 1.00 per month).  JD Plus runs the server component on the Amazon EC2 service, so the local JD software communicates to the JD Plus server (and you pay for that bandwidth, which should never be more than what you'd pay to directly store or retrieve a file directly from S3).  The JD Plus server then deals with the S3 storage, but Amazon does not charge transaction or bandwidth fees for EC2 access to S3.

tomos:
It seems that SFFS cannot do partial file update at the moment with Amazon S3
(If I get a chance I'll try it via Jungle Disk & report back)

The Jungle Disk Plus threshold for "Block-level file updates" is 1MB which is very good
If, for example you're tagging photos it could be very helpful

Apparently a lot of people use the Block-level file update for True Crypt containers - anyone here doing that?

J-Mac:
This looks pretty sweet, especially compared to another similar offer I received this week - Smugmug's "SmugVault Service".  Smugmug is an online photo repository and what they are offering is storage on S3 for your RAW files, plus any other files you wish.  However the storage and bandwidth pricing they offer is just about double what JD offers.

Gotta give it a try!  Thanks for the great review, justice!

Jim

tomos:
I've done a set it and forget it thingy -
every now & again I think omg I'd better double-check /compare folders in Dopus or whatever and everything's looking synchronised

I'm backing up my local backups - have everything already compressed & encrypted where necessary so I just synch it over

So easy  :-*  yes, thanks again Justice

mouser:
Can i remind people that one of the ways you can say thank you to Justice or any mini-review writer is by sending them a few of your donationcredits.  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version