ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Jungle Disk Mini-Review: offsite data storage

<< < (3/9) > >>

cthorpe:
Well, unless you plan on constantly moving a lot of data the lower performance shouldn't be too much of an issue.  Just schedule Jungle Disk to do the transfers when you aren't on your computer.  When I first installed it, I transferred about 2 gigs worth of data over the first couple of days.  Since then, I only move a few MB per day.

Carl

tomos:
Well, unless you plan on constantly moving a lot of data the lower performance shouldn't be too much of an issue.  Just schedule Jungle Disk to do the transfers when you aren't on your computer.  When I first installed it, I transferred about 2 gigs worth of data over the first couple of days.  Since then, I only move a few MB per day.
-cthorpe (July 02, 2008, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks Carl :up:
rebooting now for the drive remapping

mwb1100:
my question is
Anyone in Europe using American storage for S3 ?
-tomos (July 02, 2008, 10:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd suggest doing some research before using the European S3 servers with JungleDisk (on the JD website/forums).  I know that Euro S3 servers were not supported initially, and I believe that there are still some items that are not supported (I think that JD Plus currently does not support the European servers).

tomos:
true mwb1100
the Plus version is not supported by the european servers - I've opted for the american ones now so wont go back unless things very sluggish or something :)

hmm
a straight forward copy/ drag n drop of files in DOpus results in new modified date - is that the norm -
using SFFS the files keep their original modified dates (I've no experience with online backup or with networks even :) )
I'm reasonably used to SFFS so probably wont use Jungle Disk as the actual backup software

tomos:
looking around a bit in Amazon S3 -
it's not very accessible without Jungle Disk is it!? (well, it took a while to even figure out I was already logged in)
Make that pretty much totally inaccessible (to me at any rate..)

If you have Super Flexible File Synchronizer & can figure out how to create a "Bucket" (basically your folder/file container) in S3,
it seems easy to use SFFS to backup directly to S3
(in Advanced Mode, create or edit a profile and click on the "Internet..." button. Change drop-down setting from ftp to Amazon S3. More details here)
- I'm not sure if Partial file update is supported.

Will probably get Jungle Disk anyway cause I think it allows SFFS to use partial file update
Also, it's great to be able to browse your backups & keep an overview and have it all so accessible

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version