ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Let go of your bookmarks!

<< < (9/9)

40hz:
I rarely bookmark anything anymore since I got used to using a feed reader.

For things I need to keep for reference, I use a note manager and just include the URL along with any other data I want to keep.

For "read later" type things i use the Scrapbook FF add-on.

iphigenie:
I do use bookmarks and local website archive as often as I use search engines

If it is something where I think this site is better than others and I will want to find that one again, then I bookmark it.

I have temporary bookmarks for projects/learning, which I delete when i am done with them, and permanent bookmarks that I want to keep forever.

Search engines are good to find information, but they are not good to find a particular site you want to find again. After all they are constantly tweaking their algorithms and entire sites can disappear off google overnight, so you just cant trust you can ever find this particular site again.

In short
- if it is the information I am interested in, I archive the information in lwa/note and rely on search engines to find again.
- information for a project I might bookmark as well, for speed of finding when someone says "where did you find..."
- if it is the site itself I am interested in (its tone, style, a shop etc.), I bookmark it both in the browser and in an online tool (i use several, depending on whether it is for a project, for sharing or just for me)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version