ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Career Advice : Masters Degree

<< < (2/3) > >>

Carl00:
tinjaw: I have some amount of experience, have personal work and done a few commercial projects as a freelancer.  Probably not very significant, (im not sure here).

Mouser: Hi, Mikey told me about you and donation coder i dunno what name he goes by here.
 What kind of jobs are these? Full time? And how and where.. im totally clueless about this.. can you tell me more?

tinjaw:
tinjaw: I have some amount of experience, have personal work and done a few commercial projects as a freelancer.  Probably not very significant, (im not sure here).
-Carl00 (June 13, 2008, 02:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Put together a website that is essentially your extended resume. Include code that can be download and compiled and executed. Include your unit tests as well. Put it on a version control server so it can be checked out by a potential employer. Then show it to people you trust to rip it apart and make it better. These should be people with industry experience, preferably as hiring managers, or at least project managers. Depending on how long your college instructors have been out of the business world, they will be able to provide current relevant feedback as well.

Also, STAY ACTIVE! Don't stop coding. Try to do more in the open source world where you can do the specific type of coding you want to do or that you can do exceptionally well. Contribute code, well documented, to the project. Show them that this is something you enjoy so much you do it in your free time, and that the work you do is above par. This will also keep you sharp for any technical interviews you get while hunting for work.

Also, if you can find the time, continue the freelancing. If you can produce enough income from that, well, no need to work for anybody else.

Carl00:
Well, thing is i want to do my masters degree.

Isnt there a "masters in computer programming" or something like that?

zridling:
What mouser said. Even through both my Masters and PhD studies, I never took a course that didn't directly count toward my specific degree requirements, while I saw others take 2-3 years longer to finish because they followed a temporary interest. My advice would be to treat your schooling like a credit card — if you can't pay for it, then it's not worth it, and the credit hit will follow you for 20+ years. Barack Obama's a millionaire and had top legal jobs since the early 90s, but claims he only recently paid off his student loans. And he's 46! (I've yet to pay mine off at the same age, and I'm not even a hundred-aire.)

tamasd:
Not sure how this matches what you are looking for (it's in campus full-time, in UK), but it's .net specialization:
http://www.dcs.hull.ac.uk/dotNetMSc/index.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version