ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why are computers getting slower (and what we can do about it)?

(1/5) > >>

zridling:
No OS is safe from this criticism, but shouldn't computers — with the awesome processor power we have today — be fast as hell? I don't understand how a computer ("for example") in 2008, is slower than the one I ran using Windows ME in 1998!

Someone set me straight, and then tell the rest of us how to cure this wicked trend.

cranioscopical:
I don't understand how a computer ("for example") in 2008, is slower than the one I ran using Windows ME in 1998!
Someone set me straight, and then tell the rest of us how to cure this wicked trend.-zridling (June 06, 2008, 10:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

SpoilerAlso, how can it be that I'm ten times slower in 2008 than I was in 1998,
but in 1998 I was only 1.5 times slower than in 1988?

We are doing a great deal more with them.  I'll bet that, had you seen in 1998 what we're doing today, you'd have been quite excited.

kartal:
Expectations are going higher as well.

cmpm:
zridling,

Do you mean the net or applications in general?

A lot of it is more and more stuff is being added to apps and browsers I think.

Yeah, ha! I still have an old win mill computer.
I think of it as a reliable backup really.
For the net and some apps. It will run screenshotcapture!!!
And Firefox as well as many programs I use now.
But it won't take most of these high powered apps.

So it takes more thinking instead of the computer doing it.

You know, if we think back it was pictures that was the big draw to computers for the home user.

Deozaan:
Limitations!

When people absolutely MUST do something within certain limitations, they get very creative about how to accomplish it. Compared to even just 10 years ago, resources are practically unlimited, thus it's easy for people to get lazy and fall back on all the extra resource padding they had.

If you were to run the exact same software applications from 10-20 years ago on a modern machine, it would fly. That is, of course, assuming there aren't any hardware or driver conflicts and you actually could get the software to run.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version