ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Nofollow tags added to all external links

<< < (4/5) > >>

Veign:
Its not as easy as just doing a search to see what or who is authoritative.  Also every keyword and every search doesn't mean there is an authoritative site.

Yes.  Authors may be giving discounts and giveaways knowing they are getting a good solid backlink.  People sometime pay good money for a good backlink.  Thats how important a backlink can be.

mediaguycouk:
Should it also be turned off for quotes in case you quote a spammer?

app103:
I also think that there shouldn't be any "nofollow" on links on the blog page, regardless of how long the original poster of the item has been a member.

You have to be a mod or admin on the forum to promote a post to the blog, so spam isn't likely to end up there.

There is no reason whatsoever to have "nofollow" on portions of the site that spammers have no access to adding content.

Because the blogging mod also is used to add posts to the coding snacks page, a "nofollow" on those pages could potentially hurt the coder that fills a request and chooses to host the resulting application on his own site. This site will end up on page 1 of results for the application, and the poor coder's page will end up at the end of the results (or not at all) because DC's PR6 beats his tiny or nonexistant PR. Sticking "nofollow" on the link to his site would be just plain selfish, and I don't think that is in the spirit of what this site stands for.

f0dder:
Nofollow sounds like a really good idea - when it becomes coupled with the "turn off after user has N posts" idea (where N should be a relatively small number, I doubt well ever see a spammer reach even 15 posts).

Also, a thing like <quote attr=nofollow> would be good, like MediaGuyUK recommends.

We want to penalize the bad guys, not ruin the good guys.

Veign:
<quote attr=nofollow>
-f0dder (June 09, 2008, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Would have no affect.  Nofollow is for Anchor tags.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version