ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera 9.5 — New Skin

(1/4) > >>

nontroppo:
Hi guys,

Just curious on what you Opera and/or polybrowser users think of Opera's new look for 9.5?

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

For me, it is clearly better than the old baby-blue-everywhere skin, and I prefer the reduced color palette (less distracting). Page (tab) bar is a bit to Vista-like and heavy IMO, with too much padding. But this is less of an issue on OS X, where the native skin is default.

jgpaiva:
Oh, i tried it yesterday (had to move the skins folder, as i was upgrading from a previous instalation and the installer didn't overwrite the skins folder).
I think it does look good, or at least way better than the previous skin.
I'm not very fond of the fact that they removed the "open pannel" button on the left edge, i liked it more like that.
Also, it's too bad that when you reduce the size of the skin, the tab bar doesn't get smaller. I think this is the biggest problem, right now i have a small toolbar with a tab bar that is almost 2 times larger :(

allen:
I like it a lot better than the old default--I especially like the panel bar, it's sleek.  I don't use the main toolbar or the tab bar but enabled them briefly to take a look. I think my biggest complaints would be 1) As mentioned, the tab bar doesn't scale 2) The tab bar is the coolest looking aspect of it . . . and I don't use it. D'oh!

I'm not sure if this will ultimately replace Breeze Simplified Micro for me though--at least as long as Breeze is available. (Do plan to keep updating it, nontroppo?)

Lashiec:
Well, my first impression is good, which is quite something considering how picky I am about skins, and being very accustomed to the classic one. So far, the big WTF? is the red cross button to close the tabs, is very small, and not well positioned, I would opt for something more akin to what it's now. Anyway, it's a WIP so it will change for the better in new revisions. Also, the sidebar activating method will be missed.

I like that the Opera guys continue to maintain (for now) the normal skin, as well as improving the native ones :). But I wonder why they decided to include it so soon, as it was theoretically slated to be included with Opera 10...

armatostr:
I'm not very fond of the fact that they removed the "open pannel" button on the left edge, i liked it more like that.
-jgpaiva (June 06, 2008, 04:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can reenable the sidebar button in the appearance>Panels options, now is just turned off by default.

About the new skin and layout I really like it, though I'm not sure if it's really less distracting. One thing that I really thought I wouldn't like was the small close tab button, because I'm really good at closing tabs by accident and now I'm not that good anymore :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version