ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows update Vs Ubuntu Update

<< < (3/3)

allen:
Any software that isn't "a work in progress" is considered to be abandonware. Most people ditch applications that aren't in active development (I'm often prone to this as well.).

That said, I wanted to share this--it's 53.6 Megs of absolute wtf?!

SYMPTOMS
In Windows Vista and in Windows Server 2008, when you check the spelling of English language text in an application that uses the English dictionary, all the following words cannot be recognized and are flagged as being misspelled:
Friendster
Klum
Nazr
Obama
Racicot

One example of an application that uses the English dictionary is Windows Mail.

Consider the following example scenario:

You compose an e-mail message in Windows Mail.

In the Options dialog box, on the Spelling tab, under Language, you select English.

You type a word that appears in the previous list.
In this scenario, this word is flagged as being misspelled.

Note This issue also occurs if the application uses the German dictionary.

--- End quote ---

Seriously... I mean, really. I mean...

WORKAROUND
To work around this issue, add the word to the dictionary. To do this, perform one of the following actions.

Note  These two actions apply to Windows Mail only.

Right-click the flagged word, and then click Add to Dictionary.

Click Add to Dictionary in the Spelling & Grammar dialog box.
When you add the word to the dictionary, the word is added to the Custom.dic dictionary file.

--- End quote ---

But it's still going to nag me about this update (listed as type: important!) . . . where's the "I applied the workaround button"?

MSN Support Page

f0dder:
allen: IMHO the problem isn't that you get an update like that (53 megs, though? O_o) - the problem is the fscktarded users that have actually bitched at MS for not including those words in the default dictionaries.

allen:
My mistake, 56 MB.  I wouldn't be so astonished by the update if not for the size... people are stupid and shit when their spell checker misses some words (words I wouldn't expect to be in there anyway...), Microsoft addresses it. But 56 megs... ungh. Where's the checkbox to indicate "I applied the workaround."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version