ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help needed with NVidia upgrade

<< < (2/3) > >>

tabletguy:
Create a system restore point before updating drivers. That's much easier for rollbacks, etc.

You didn't mention laptop vendor, etc. so your solution may vary. For example, for Lenovo, they block direct updates from Nvidia. There are ways around this that I've found (see link below), but I had no compelling reason to implement.

However, I once talked with a level 2 support person (someone who actually treated me like an intelligent software developer). He pointed out that one reason for blocking generic driver updates is that manufacturers add in extra stuff. In this case (Lenovo) they add (he said) stuff for their softkey support, etc.

But, he went on to say that usually, if you download and reinstall the softkey support module (I'm using this as an example), then it somehow restores the softkeys, but with the new video drivers. So, go figure.

The point here is that there's a good chance you can upgrade the driver, and then reinstall something for sound, etc. The trick is just that you need to reinstall the current driver, so that it is the "last one", etc.

For NVidia, there is a specific 3rd party forum site that provides work around .lNF files to allow installing the drivers on a lot of laptops, etc. They might also be able to specifically help you with your driver update. http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

Let us know how it goes if you are successful.  Also, to say again, I didn't update my video driver this way, so take what I say with a grain of salt!

joncheng:
I'd try RadarSync.  Its been mentioned before on this forum - https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=3224.0  - and seems to work well.  Plus it's free.  http://www.radarsync.com

f0dder:
tabletguy: wtf, have 3rd-party people started doing custom drivers again for nvidia GPUs? I thought that stopped somewhere about/after the dreaded FX series. It was SO annoying having to get specific ASUS/MSI/whatever drivers back in the GeForce4 and earlier days... why don't people ever learn? >_<

Lashiec:
Well, my board is using nVidia custom drivers by Asus, I ignore what's the difference compared with the ones nVidia offers in its site, but its version number is higher, and revision dates are more recent as well. Also, nVidia is not known for being that prolific in releasing driver updates, so maybe they offload some work to 3rd parties.

I think both in the case of boards and laptops makes sense, considering the changes assemblers introduce compared with the reference designs. Regarding GPUs, I don't think the speed of development in that field leaves much space to the possibility of each assembler modifying drivers for each model, even more now that most cards are essentially the same, save for different coolers or higher clockspeeds.

tabletguy:
f0dder:

AFAIK, they just modify the INF files to include more machines in the allowable install file. They also seem to have an active forum to help people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version