ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help needed with NVidia upgrade

<< < (3/3)

J-Mac:
f0dder:

AFAIK, they just modify the INF files to include more machines in the allowable install file. They also seem to have an active forum to help people.
-tabletguy (June 06, 2008, 09:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nvidia's forum may be active, but users only - you won't see Nvidia representatives there helping out much.

Also, Nvidia will NOT offer any support if your graphics card came pre-installed in your computer.  When you go to their support page the first thing you encounter is a question asking you to check off which situation fits:  directly purchased and installed your Nvidia card, or the card came pre-installed in your computer.  If the second case is true they say they're sorry but you must contact your computer manufacturer for support.  They will only support direct purchases.  Believe me, I have tried several times to get help from them!

Also, I haven't seen what sound card the OP has.  The problem could actually be a conflict between the new Nvidia driver and the sound card driver.  Often happens with Nvidia graphics cards and Creative SB sound cards.

Jim

J-Mac:
To illustrate what I said in my previous post about Nvidia only supporting direct purchases, here are a couple of screen captures from Nvidia's Support page.  This is on the first page when you click on the "Support" link:

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

And here is what you see when you click on the first link, if your graphics card came as part of a computer purchase:

[attachthumb=#2][/attachthumb]

Jim

f0dder:
Yeah, nvidia forums don't really get attention from the developers... for example, screen rotation is abysmally slow (feels almost as if hardware accel is disabled when you rotate) on nvidia cards/drivers (at least "some versions" back) - and nvidia totally ignored the thread about it. ATi cards, even with their superbuggy and dangerous drivers, worked as they should (at least back on Radeon9600 :)).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version