ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A few questions about slipstreaming, or PE type setup

(1/2) > >>

dtrud0h:
I've been interested in creating a custom image of my system,(well, not the current one...more like the Ideal one).
and I have a need for some input.   I'm not sure if  should use a program like BartPE, or if I can slipstream what I want into a bootable setup disk, or if I should start a new partition and set it up according to my wants and then just save it as an image to explode to disk.  Some things I want to include are some can't live withouts, eliminated items pre-eliminated(such as xplite setup) and also a pile of archives I find myself always going back to for specific things.  Any recomendations, suggestions that you wish you'd  had , precautions, advice, or comments would be appreciated.  I hope to use DVD-rom as the media for the endeavor so if anyone has experience with a good program that will build a self installing image to store on DVD that would be a good start.

Thanks ahead and behind,
  Dtrud0h

alexp:
Personally I would do a fresh install of windows and set it up the way you want then create an image of it. The only problem with this method is if you change your mobo  or any major peice of hardware then the image will not work correctly.

AFAIK bartPE is only a rescue disk type thing, you can't actually use it for much. It's always a good thing to have around though (which reminds me I must try and make one sometime).

You can create a disk image which will install almost anything, there is an excellent guide to it which can be found here http://unattended.msfn.org and also try looking in the forums here

mouser:
something like vmware would really make this easy to experiment with
because you could build a setup in your vmware and also test it without risking any damage.

Carol Haynes:
Slipstreaming is the way to go for a generic setup disc. If you look around there are loads of good websites that will help you compile a stipstreamed CD with all your srivers and some standard software applications ready to install.

For day to day system building (on your current hardware) imaging is the way to go. You install everything the way you want it, image the hard disc (Norton Ghost, Acronis Ture Image etc) and when you want to reinstall you just restore the image. This also has the advantage with Windows XP in that you activate windows before makng the initial image and then you never have to activate again when you reinstall. Trouble is when you change hardware the image probably won't work well, although it really depends what hardware you change ...

For slipstreaming checkout this search page for lots of links.

Here are a couple I have found useful in the past:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

This one looks helpful for your needs (at least as a starter) but I haven't used this one:

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=284

dtrud0h:
Thanks all, one of the questions about slipstreaming that I would like more info on is the types of things that can be slipstreamed.  It seems like the sites I have searched mainly focus on Service Packs and drivers.  Is it possible to slipstream applications pre-installed into the "program Files" directory,start menu and registry as though they were part of the operating system themselves...ie; like putting firefox in place of msie and having the os just accept it as the webbrowser that is available.
  Another thing that I can't seem to get away with is removing msie using XPlite.  There is always something that won't work correctly if it's not there. 
 I am working with a laptop with a PIII-800 and 512mb. ram I an kind of leary to install VMware onto it because it just seems as though it would be really slow and tedious to work with, on that note it may be worth it if VMware could make an image that would install onto a partition and not think it was still a VMware system.
  I will check out the links and info suggested and see what I find

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version