ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why I could never buy a Dell or HP computer (rant)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Dell's Vostro line is one of the best stick-to-strictly-business machines I've seen; I've ordered several for clients with just Windows and actually received a machine with just Windows on it.

The consumer grade stuff (Zoiks!) I'm with ya 100% man, damn what a nightmare!

PhilB66:
This just came through... HP to make Live Search default search engine on all computers

Deozaan:
I build my own desktops, but if I were to get a laptop it would be from some brand. Probably Dell.

But the first thing I'd do is format and install a fresh copy of the OS.

Armando:
When I bought my Dell Inspiron 6400 (consumer) 2 years ago, it came with a bit of crap, but not too much. I just uninstalled that useless apps (starting with McAfee -- yeah, that one was a tad tricky) and started building from there.

I guess that I could've wiped the drive and start from scratch, but... I didn't. All in all, I think it was quicker this way, and except for my RAM problems (not windows related), I haven't got any windows related problems.

Am still running the same windows install I was, 2 years ago.

Of course, if you'd give me the choice I'd choose a laptop with just windows and drivers... nothing else. But I'm not necessarily willing to pay the big $$$ for that...

BTW : it's usually possible to order the windows CD from Dell -- yes, you can do that, and it's often free : I did it, but never used it. (Of course, I don't know anything about Vista's activation scheme, etc. That would probably be a pain...)

J-Mac:
After refusing to purchase from Dell for almost five years, I recently broke down and purchased a notebook from them - an XPS M-1330.  Though it does have a fair amount of issues, due mostly to manufacturers releasing rotten drivers for their "Vista-compatible" hardware, there was almost no crapware on it at all.  A few Dell-specific things - one of which I found to be extremely annoying - but other than a few of those, nothing.

I was pleasantly surprised.

BTW, the annoying thing I mentioned above was a Dell-branded Google search page.  Anytime you go to Google's home page you instead get redirected by a BHO to a Dell/Google page that has 75% sponsored ads and 25% real search results.  I found the problem - it's actually a program listed only under "C:\Common Files", but II could not install it from the Control Panel.  When I tried it said that it required me to install a disk first. But none of the Dell-supplied disks worked to uninstall it.

I finally just found the DLL and renamed it, then found and deleted the registry key for it.  B@stards!!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version