ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The 10 most annoying programs on the Internet

<< < (5/8) > >>

f0dder:
I agree with Edvard on the Adobe/Platform/Reader idea - most people don't need the additional crud, and AR is an abomination. FoxIt is unfortunately pretty slow on 64bit Windows (with complex PDFs), and Sumatra is still a bit immatura... but both are better.

Apple? Hell yeah, quicktime and itunes, burn in hell. Along with the ugly and overpriced hardware. I guess I'd be a bit milder-mannered if Apple would offer OS X for non-apple hardware.

As for the rant about Windows Update, ho humm. The "you need to reboot now" (with "reboot" being the default-focus button) dialog is deadly annoying, especially because it keeps popping up ever X minutes. But WU itself is a good and necessary thing.

RealPlayer, yep. At least I can get along without it.

Java... I don't mind the language, but I do agree with the annoying-points. Oh, and it's too bad SUN can't for the life of them make a JVM/JIT with decent performance, Microsofts JVM was so many times faster.

Yahoo? Glad I don't have to suffer that :)

Norton Antivirus, I mostly agree. The worst part is how many machines it comes preinstalled in, and how annoying it is to get rid of it - "are you reeeeeally sure?", and a couple of reboots. OK if you buy a single new machine for yourself, but frustrating when you need to set up five new laptops, "and make it yesterday".

#8: Preinstalled software bundles - I only have one thing to say: death sentence for whoever came up with the idea. Oh, and the people implementing the idea.

Don't have a grudge with Outlook, really.

Flash? Oh, don't get me started. It's fine for games, videos and commercials. But please, don't ues it for anything else. It hogs up CPU time, it makes site navigation bothersome (and often makes it very hard to bookmark individual pages), et cetera. Just use clean HTML/CSS, kthx.

mzah8:
What ticks me off about AR is that it won't print ' characters properly... I always get random crap. Most annoying.
-Renegade (June 03, 2008, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

At my uni, the Linux computers have trouble printing out some Windows fonts. I found this out the hard way when I converted some of my friend's Word files to PDFs so I could print them out for her with my free printer credits, and all her headings came out as rectangles.

My department puts that down to Windows not being very good with converting files to PDFs though. So I'm not sure if it's Adobe Reader's fault...

(I didn't try other PDF readers though, to see if the same thing happened)

zenzai:
As for Adobe Flash Player, I'm having a good laugh. I have several video players on my system and they all play Flash files fine - the only one that won't is Adobe's...  ;D

zenzai:
As for the rant about Windows Update, ho humm. The "you need to reboot now" (with "reboot" being the default-focus button) dialog is deadly annoying, especially because it keeps popping up ever X minutes. But WU itself is a good and necessary thing.
-f0dder (June 14, 2008, 07:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

From my "Thing's I'd like to see in Windows" archive:

CWuestefeld:
The Windows Update "reboot now" prompt is my favorite application of the FARR "sctrl" plugin. Just "sctrl autom" (on my system), and it stops the darned service until the next reboot (on my own time!) lets it restart.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version