topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Activate 'Terminate Services' ???  (Read 5613 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Activate 'Terminate Services' ???
« on: June 05, 2008, 09:35 AM »
I am trying to install the new Windows Search 4 but the installation gets aborted and this strange message comes up: Make sure 'Terminate Services' is activated / allowed (or how the English terms would go). Now, of course I never knew that such a feature could be de-activated in the first place, but the world must know by now that I have absolutely no idea on how to solve this problem, if possible. What can you tell me about this? Services and processes are being terminated all the time, so I guess it really may be some other problem and the XP system perhaps just gave "some" message because it didn't know any better? Do you have an idea, please?

:tellme:

Edited: Wrong first titel; "services", not "processes".
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:14 AM by Curt »

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Activate 'Terminate Services' ???
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 07:36 PM »
I misread it the first time.  I thought you said Terminal Services which is commonly needed for certain types of applications.  Terminate Services, however, I have never heard of.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Is it a fresh install or an upgrade?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 02:41 AM »
Upgrade or fresh install? Hmm... When I first was to post my answer I suddenly felt a need to check the facts. These surprised me somewhat because I had forgotten that I don't have Windows Desktop Search on this machine as I believed I had; it was on my previous one! However, that should not be not important. My answer must be that it is both an upgrade and a fresh install, because I expect that everyone has Windows Search (??)- it was not listed in Add/Remove Programs - so this part must be an upgrade (??), but I don't have Windows Desktop Search, so this part is a fresh install, (or is it a re-install??).

Description of Windows Search 4.0 and the Multilingual User Interface Pack for Windows Search 4.0

Article ID   :   940157
Last Review   :   June 3, 2008
Revision   :   6.1

INTRODUCTION
This article discusses the availability of Windows Search 4.0 and the Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI) for Windows Search 4.0.

Windows Search 4.0 lets you perform an instant search of your computer. Windows Search 4.0 helps you find and preview documents, e-mail messages, music files, photos, and other items on the computer.

The search engine in Windows Search 4.0 is a Microsoft Windows service that is also used by programs such as Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 and Microsoft Office OneNote 2007. You can use this search engine to index a program's content and to obtain instant results when you search in a particular program.

Windows Search 4.0 packages include the following:

•   The Group Policy template (Search.adm or Search.admx /l) for managing Group Policy objects that span multiple versions of Windows Desktop Search and Windows Search
•   The Add-in for Files on Microsoft Networks for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 packages

This add-in is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
918996 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918996/) Availability of the Windows Desktop Search add-in for Files on Microsoft Networks

This add-in lets Windows Search index redirected "My Documents" folders. This add-in also lets Windows Search index shared items on remote networks. By default, this add-in is included for supported 32-bit operating systems.

When you install the Windows Search 4.0 packages, you also install the following items:

•   XmlLite
For more information about XmlLite, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
915865 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915865/) The XmlLite update package is available for 32-bit versions of Windows XP with Service Pack 2
914783 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914783/) The XmlLite update package is available for Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

•   IFilters
For more information about IFilters, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
915800 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915800/) A hotfix is available for Windows Desktop Search document IFilters in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003

I was trying the 32-bit XP package in the Danish version.
http://www.microsoft...A&displaylang=en

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 02:50 AM »
--oh! Studying the text closer makes me realize that it doesn't *come* with Desktop Search, but will (try to) *upgrade* Desktop Search! Now I wonder if this makes a difference? Hmm.. Maybe I should first go and (re-)install Desktop Search??? I am not too sure what it all means, but I think I will try just that. Edited: No, forget all about it; I am a happy user of QT Tabbar and GTSearch - I don't even want to use Windows Search or Desktop Search!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 03:02 AM by Curt »