ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Instant infos via aliases?

<< < (2/6) > >>

s.newave:
my suggestion:
wait for the Information Reference plugin, and don't waste your time setting these aliases up manually.
I keep waiting for someone else to write this plugin idea which will basically let you search a specially formatted text file for notes and data by keyword or tag.
-mouser (May 31, 2008, 01:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

That someone wouldnt be you by any chance would it :D Seriously though a plugin such as this should be on the top 3 plugin todo list

czb:
I had to miss this plugin request. What is it supposed to do exactly?

mouser:
Maybe we should make this thread into a discussion of how the "Ultimate Reference Info" plugin should work.  I've given it a lot of thought but it's involved enough that getting the details worked out here before coding it would be a good idea.

Some of the issues were discussed here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=13295

Here is the basic idea of the plugin:

The purpose of the plugin is to let the user find and display Reference Information from within text files.

* An example would be that you have a file containing an address book, you want to be able to type "info phone hospital" and have it find the phone number for the hospital.
* Or perhaps you work in a job where you constantly have to look up order codes based on some keywords so you want to be able to type "info order muffler porshe" to show all the entries related to muffler and porshe keywords.
It should be possible to ADD items to these files from within FARR as well.

So it's basically a combination note taker and reference info finder.

My feeling is that the plugin should be able to be told about multiple reference files and let you select which one you are interested in as the first argument.  the next arguments would be search terms.

I think each reference item should have a title, keywords, and text contents (maybe html contents too?). Search would occur in titles, keywords, and text.

So that's what i've come up with so far.  This might be a plugin that should be coded in a fast compiled language (as opposed to javascript, just because it may have to search through large collections of data).

It's also possible that this plugin might take advantage of the planned spreadsheet view for FARR, and already implemented html view.

Some unresolved issues:

* What should the file format be?  Or should it allow the user to customize the file format possibilities so as to use existing csv, xml, xls files?
* Might one alternative approach be to keep each note in a separate file, arranged in a hierarchical tree?
* What should the "add new entry" gui dialog look like (i think their should be a nice gui dialog for adding an entry which helped user select tags); what should the simple line to add a note without a gui look like.
* What nice copy-to-clipboard options should be provided and how?

kartal:
I personally think that txt based formats should be read by the plugin. User  also should be able to choose whether they want to keep things in hierarchy files or one file. I keep most of my note files in text format so this plugin would be a breeze for me. One thing that can be cool is that user should be able to define which folders should be searched by the plugin. Also appending to existing text file could be great. We should have control over the formatting of the text that will be append. I like your addnote.exe but one drawback is that it does not have formating control and it is too bold for my needs.

mouser:
One idea would be to allow any number of fields that the user wants for each entry (like xml allows any number of properties), and have the plugin display them usefully.

So for one file i might have entries that look like:
@title = Central Hospital
@phone = blah blah
@address = blah blah
@hours = blah blah
@insurance = accepts all insurance
@tags = hospital, health, emergency

So the point is that when parsing the note file, the plugin would collect the list of all available fields.  when displaying resuls matched it could show them in a grid/spreadsheet mode with a column for each field.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version