ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hosting options for new website

<< < (4/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
That seems to be the problem with most of the PHP/MySQL package autoinstallers bundled into server packages (including those bundled CPanel). You inevitably get an out of date version (so the latest security updates aren't implemented) and because you didn't control the installation updates often don't work properly. My experience with CPanel was that it built MySQL databases and you needed to be a detective to find the database password generated by the system before you could even delete it again!

Renegade:
Maybe not totally helpful, but I'll throw in a bit of what I know...

WebHost4Life --- AVOID THEM!!!! They suck! Badly. Horror upon horror! EVIL!

LayeredTech --- AVOID!!! Incompetent beyond human comprehension. They managed to lose all data from RAID 1 mirrored drives on me! You cannot possibly screw up worse than that. That's on top of 2 weeks of downtime that was entirely their fault. Serious moron working there. (It only gets worse.)

The Planet --- Excellent. I have zero downtime and have had no problems with them. Very good and recommended.

If you're going to go for $500, would it be a stretch to $1,000 or so? If you can, I'd honestly strongly recommend going with a dedicated server. There's just NO comparison with any kind of hosted account to virtual server. They just aren't in the same universe much less the same ballpark.

I can tell you from personal experience with different hosting accounts that I'd rather shoot myself in the face than ever use a hosted account ever again.

The difference between $500 and $1,000 isn't that big once you figure in the massive costs of the downtime and truckloads of Tylenol that you'll need to deal with the BS of a shared server.

40hz:
If you're going to go for $500, would it be a stretch to $1,000 or so? If you can, I'd honestly strongly recommend going with a dedicated server. There's just NO comparison with any kind of hosted account to virtual server. They just aren't in the same universe much less the same ballpark.

--- End quote ---

It would be a bit of a stretch (almost a car payment to be exact :)) but from what I'm hearing in other places, a dedicated server is definitely something I'll have to consider. Thanks for bringing it up.

40hz:
I would avoid 1and1 and godaddy for hosting.

I used 1and1 because of a free offer they had a few years back.  They were pretty good on the free account, but when that expired and I went to a paid account, it was too slow for any decent cms options.   Their support is also problematic, and it is very hard to cancel your account and prevent them from auto-renewing and billing you.
-cthorpe (May 31, 2008, 02:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. Been there with 1&1 a few years back so I feel your pain. Mega-hassles. That's one of the reasons why I came here to get input.

Renegade:

--- End quote ---

It would be a bit of a stretch (almost a car payment to be exact :)) but from what I'm hearing in other places, a dedicated server is definitely something I'll have to consider. Thanks for bringing it up.
-40hz (June 02, 2008, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Think about it this way...

How much is your time worth? Do you want the pain and hassles of dealing with support staff that are total morons and should probably have been flunked out of kindergarten?

How much is downtime worth? How much will it cost to get things up again?

Can you afford for some other jerk on a server to hog all the resources with a crappy script?

On my own personal server I have had ZERO downtime because I control everything and make sure things work. (OS reboots excepted... :( )

But you can still get dedicated Linux servers for under $50 a month (I can't speak to the reliability there). But there are cheap ones out there. There are lots available for $80~90 a month too that will do a fantastic job.

However, you need to administer them yourself for best results.

Years ago I used only dedicated servers and had no problems. Then for some smaller sites I went with hosting... I very soon learned that hosting doesn't work for sites that grow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version