ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

flash-card programs to learn a new (human) language. What's the best?

(1/5) > >>

urlwolf:
I'm considering using flash-card programs to learn a new (human) language, German in my case as I'm moving to Berlin.

I was very impressed by this article in Wired magazine:
Want to Remember Everything You'll Ever Learn? Surrender to This Algorithm

It talks about supermemo, a program that uses what we know about forgetting to help retention.

Do you use flash-card programs?
What's the best?

Any other hacks to learn a language?

Thanks

superboyac:
FullRecall is the best.  I just used it for a math class and it worked great.  Fantastic program.

tinjaw:
FullRecall - Software For Effective Memorization
"FullRecall is a software that can help you memorize the knowledge for lifelong periods with the minimum time investment. Underlying artificial neural network gradually grasps your forgetting curve to schedule optimal days for the reviews–i.e., days when you will be close to forgetting an information."
http://fullrecall.com/

It looks interesting.

Dormouse:
Depending on your needs, I think supermemo has some advantages over fullrecall. It will be worth trying both.

Also worth looking at free alternatives such as Anki, Mnemosyne and Teach2000.

superboyac:
Depending on your needs, I think supermemo has some advantages over fullrecall. It will be worth trying both.

Also worth looking at free alternatives such as Anki, Mnemosyne and Teach2000.
-Dormouse (May 29, 2008, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
I know there was this discussion in another thread.  But I wouldn't go to Supermemo unless I strongly felt limited by Fullrecall.  If it's a question of learning vocabulary (just words+definitions) I would strongly recommend Fullrecall and not Supermemo.  Supermemo can do some very particular and very fancy things that Fullrecall can't, but I wouldn't even consider it unless I was going to do those fancy things.  Supermemo's interface is certifiably annoying, and Fullrecall's interface is huggably pleasant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version