ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Shipping outside USA not an option - workaround?

(1/2) > >>

tsaint:
Frequently, companies such as Amazon don't offer shipping outside the USA for a variety of reasons.
 (example: I want to buy a scanner from there but they won't ship this item to australia)
I know there's a company that will provide a USA shipping address for Singaporeans and forward goods to them, but don't know of anything similar for Australia.
Does anyone know?
Failing that, is there a regular DC member who would consider acting as a trans-shipment point for a reasonable fee? I'm not 100% committed to the purchase yet - finding out whether I've any options at this stage.
thanks
tony

yotta:
wow, i was thinking of starting a thread like this, the problem isnt so bad in the uk, but things do tend to cost the same in £ as US$, and with a US$ = £0.50 thats alot more expensive

tsaint:
As I mentioned, one company does this for Singaporeans (I don't know their fees). Seems there's an opening for an entrepreneur here (Heidi, where are you?)

Carol Haynes:
Trouble is that it is a bit of a minefield because a lot of products sold in the US are not licensed for export.

For example US Adobe products are not licensed for export to Europe because Adobe sells licenses in Europe.

This probably breaks all sorts of international trade agreements, involves price fixing and is probably 'cartel' activity (which is certainly illegal in the UK) but some companies (Adobe is one - they actually told me they can identify the product source by the serial code) say they will not provide support or upgrades for products purchased outside the license territory.

Add to that that anyone actively exporting these products could potentially be open to prosecution ...

I think this may be a case for off the record arrangements between friends rather than open arrangements made in a public forum.

Target:
This probably breaks all sorts of international trade agreements, involves price fixing and is probably 'cartel' activity (which is certainly illegal in the UK) but some companies (Adobe is one - they actually told me they can identify the product source by the serial code) say they will not provide support or upgrades for products purchased outside the license territory.
-Carol Haynes (May 28, 2008, 07:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

interesting approach!

what happens if you move to another 'licensing territory' and you already own a legitimate copy of a given piece of software (shirley they can't expect you to buy another one just to meet their licencing requirements!!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version