ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Digital Camera Help

(1/3) > >>

Josh:
To the community,

My wife recently informed me that she wants to get a new digital camera for the sole purpose of taking pictures of small objects with a good amount of zoom. Well, I know a bit about normal digital cameras, but I am looking for one with a better lens and that has a good zoom. I also need a camera which doesnt produce pictures with large amounts of grain or distortion/noise. This is a problem I have found with many digital cameras when you get into the larger megapixel range.

Now, I know I am being gulliable in this request (right word?), but is it possible to find a camera like this for around the 200-300 dollar price range?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Josh

tomos:
I'm not going to be very much help except maybe what to watch out for/avoid

Often a problem with cheaper cameras is with the flash - it often takes up to 10 seconds to recharge - another aspect to consider/check
You'd also want something with Image stabilisation (IS)

I usually go here Imaging-resource/Dave's Picks if researching a camera.
Straight away I see

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H3
8.0 megapixels, 10.00x zoom
   $264.87
Check Prices!
Packed with features, the Sony H3 has a fast shutter, a long zoom, and turns out great 13x19-inch prints... (more)in the allround section

There's a long zoom section there too
And they do great reviews :up:

steeladept:
You can actually buy external lenses for many models of cameras.  Perhaps that will extend your existing camera for much cheaper?

oldfart:
If your wife wishes to take pictures of small objects you need to make sure the camera you purchase has a Macro capability.  Macro lenses are generally higher quality lenses than non-macro.  Also, with small objects you really need more than the on-board flash.  At least that has been my experience.

iphigenie:
There are quite a lot of compact cameras which do very well with close up photography - for example my little pocket camera (the f47d, just seen on special at £99 in the UK) can (when in macro mode) focus much closer than my SLR with the lenses I have. eg: http://iphigenie.72photos.com/images/view/8953/75117/2008-05-11_12-53-08_02a.jpg (click on image to see larger size)

Although a zoom will not help with small objects, since it will increase the distance at which you can focus - so you can zoom but you are further away to start with. Macro works usually at fairly low zoom levels and very short distances.

I heard great things about the canon G series as a camera which is a middle point between the easy point-and-shoot and a serious camera - pricewise too

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version