ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Synology DS207+ NAS

<< < (4/4)

justice:
Just writing in to say I'm happily using the DS209+ that kind Perry sent my way. It has to be the most approachable linuxbox I ever used, thanks to its webinterface.

* It has really sold me on the use of NAS for home use - really underestimate it's uses!
* Now backing up my work properly onto RAID 1 - feel a lot safer working with my documents and music and scripts
* Love the extensibility of it being based on a light linux system
* Works great to stream video's to the living room's Xbox 360 - video on demand
* Managed to install subversion onto it :D Notes are available. Can't recommend this enough.
* Managed to install scp onto it - Archiving files onto it is so much easier now
* download station scheduler is a bit limited -I'd prefer an hour based, 24 slots a day, 7 days per week so I can set it to only download outside peak usage period for my broadband service (which is different in the weekend) - or start / stop via cron. Really only minor criticism so far.
* Great combination of ease of use and tweaking - the desktop utilities take the setting up out of the setup but if I want I can connect with putty and mess about
* Looking into upgrading storage - and in theory it's easy: take one raid1 drive out, rebuild, slot bigger one in, rebuild, (start again for other drive) - done!
* When you switch off the power because of raid1 and its functions it recovers automatically and there is no problem - maybe shouldn't do that too often?
few experimental things I tried:

* Can't get icecast working yet - wanted to use it as a streaming server but as soon as I connect to icecast it doesn't recognise my audio stream (yet), but this is not a build in feature so following tutorials for other devices to get it working - will be great when it does.
* Can't get bittorrent downloading to work without my internet connection slowing down to a crawl - had better results using uTorrent but I know that program better so I'll put it down to me not being an expert on this topic. Might be router issue or my misconfiguration - I tried 40 connections per torrent and running 5 torrents max - ports properly forwarded. Updated firmware for Netgear dg834g

f0dder:

* Looking into upgrading storage - and in theory it's easy: take one raid1 drive out, rebuild, slot bigger one in, rebuild, (start again for other drive) - done! -justice (February 10, 2009, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hm, does this actually work? Depends on the filesystem I guess.

* When you switch off the power because of raid1 and its functions it recovers automatically and there is no problem - maybe shouldn't do that too often?-justice (February 10, 2009, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Pretty bad idea - always shut down the box properly. First, rebuilding/syncing your mirror takes a while and is stressful, secondly you could get a fubar'ed filesystem (journalling helps a lot, but it isn't 100% foolproof. Which filesystem does it run?).

* Can't get bittorrent downloading to work without my internet connection slowing down to a crawl - had better results using uTorrent but I know that program better so I'll put it down to me not being an expert on this topic. Might be router issue or my misconfiguration - I tried 40 connections per torrent and running 5 torrents max - ports properly forwarded. Updated firmware for Netgear dg834g-justice (February 10, 2009, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Has more to do with speed caps than amount of connections (unless your DSL/whatever modem is really crappy). If you're on DSL and have your upstream maxed out, your downstream will suck.

justice:
re: upgrading storage - See the section of the manual

For RAID 1 volume on two and more bays models*
1. Turn off the Synology Product.
2. Replace the first internal hard drive with a larger hard drive.
3. Turn on the Synology Product and rebuild the volume.
4. Repeat step 1 to 3 until all internal hard drives are replaced with larger hard
drives.
5. Click the Expand button to expand the volume size.
p.s. For hot-swappable models, you can perform the above procedures when
the model is powered on.

--- End quote ---

wrt to filesystem: looks like ext3 from the manual. Could check tonight.

Thanks will look at the speed caps I'm sure I had it down very low but will try again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version