ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The last time your AntiVirus saved you!

<< < (4/6) > >>

Grorgy:
I have never had a virus found.  But I still install AV as the first thing, I like the sense of security, (i am using eset smart security these days - 50% student discount here in Aus anyway)

I only run a full scan very occasionally and  every so often, every month or two, will run spybot or Asquared free just to make me feel good  :)  And an antirootkit (blacklight and/or panda) They never find anything either apart from a few cookies, and i clean my cookies regularly and only keep the ones I want/need.

dantheman:
Its hard to remember the last time I had an anti-virus program installed on my PC.  Sometime in the mid to late 90s I would guess.  Back then it wasn't as big a problem and these days I know how to not get infected.  I don't suggest people roll the way I do though.
-Tekzel (May 23, 2008, 08:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think you're the only one to do so.
With AVG8 hogging up so much energy I've decided to do without (even though i've tried AVAST free edition which did quite well), so i've been doing away with one now for about a week.
If you share your PC with others, then that can make it a must.
Haven't had a virus attack in about a year (then again, it was AVG's own mistake which mistook a k-meleon.exe file as a virus - of all things!).

wreckedcarzz:
I don't think any of my antivirus progs ever stopped something actively, except for avast!... but avast! gives so many idiotic false positives that I stopped using it.

I usually end up installing Spyware Terminator (w/ ClamAV) AFTER an infection, and doing the work afterward. More fun ripping it out than just blocking it :P - I haven't been infected on this PC yet, I got 3 false positives from game trainers, but that's all...

I used to use PC-Cillin 2007, but it sucked a big one, so I now use PC Tools Internet Security, but I start it up once a month or so to scan, then turn it off and reboot again. Great blocking power, but I don't need it. It is enabled on my dad's PC though, he tends to collect viruses and trojans and whatnot out of the blue. I got it configged to pretty much block everything but what he uses, so I have to give PC Tools a :up: for that.

tuntis:
Hmm...well the thing is, the whole point should be not to get infected in the first place. Your approach really only works if you know that you have a virus (and which one), and I would say that the most dangerous ones are the ones you don't notice but just quietly keeps sending out data from your system without destroying or slowing things down...like account information/credit card info.
-Dirhael (May 23, 2008, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
What I really meant was that the antivirus I've used in the rare situation I've been infected (I've been using my new computer for 6 months without any infections) has almost never been able to delete the virus by itself: it's always been some tool specifically designed to remove the virus in question. The only thing the antivirus did was name the infection for me!

dantheman:
BetaNews describes AdAware8 as an AV program at freeware level (correction needed i believe).
Anyone use this program with success?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version