ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

LifeHacker launcher application voting and FARR Name

<< < (5/10) > >>

rjbull:
suggestion: to make farr more popular. make an idiots version. give it a 'friendly' web2.0 like name, e.g. tapr, typr, runr, ushr, impulse, blah, blah, blah.
-nudone (May 21, 2008, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I suppose Launchalicious would be out?   :D

kartal:
I used Launchy for 2 years. Launchy is slightly comparable to Farr in my opinion. But Farr offers many more options. One reason launchy may get the votes because its probably easier to use and indexing may make it look like it is faster. In the end it is popular voting not technical.

rjbull:
i suspect that not many FARR users really use its power, how many uses dosearch commands ?, noresults ?, restartsearch to build menus ?, advanced hotkeys ?, aliases with complex regex mask ?, command-line switches, dosearch switches)-nitrix-ud (May 21, 2008, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't, for one...  Maybe part of the "problem" is lack of tutorials, which is why sri's is useful?  It would help to have a simple summary of all the things FARR can do, whether you have add extra tools to make them work, whether the aliases are pre-configured, and what platforms they run on (e.g., not everyone has .NET installed).

it is a fact that i installed launchy more than FARR (on other people's computer), just because in 2 minutes you've got something working, nice, slick which does the work when it comes to search the start menu...
--- End quote ---

The RunIt program Mouser mentions in FARR's Help -> Related Programs is very good.  Being relatively small, and fast, it's the one I use on my Win98 laptop at home.  My FARR directory and subdirectories on the work compputer occupy 11 Mb - that's a lot for a launcher, even if it's a launcher plus plus.  Hmmm...  maybe that's another potential name, Launcher++...

nitrix-ud:
I don't, for one...  Maybe part of the "problem" is lack of tutorials, which is why sri's is useful?  It would help to have a simple summary of all the things FARR can do, whether you have add extra tools to make them work, whether the aliases are pre-configured, and what platforms they run on (e.g., not everyone has .NET installed).
--- End quote ---

yes this is true, but i think the first thing would be to have a good help file (very good ?),
but let's not forget FARR is pretty much one man's work, and it is freeware ... so i will not complain

once again i think the directory opus online help is quite impressive ...
http://www.gpsoft.com.au/manual9/NetHelp/default.htm
(but this is a 80 dollars software)

kartal:
I personally read help file of every program I use. I have found Farr`s help file not indepth but good enough to start using some advanced stuff. To me the most overlooked part of help file was regex stuff and predefined keywords like %date% %time%. I would like to see whole list of those kinds of keywords for example.

Maybe there is a wiki but we can start a slow Farr wiki maybe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version