ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Looking for a little help with arguments.

<< < (3/3)

Perry Mowbray:
There are so many times while using farr that i think how cool it would be if you could build a sentence by stringing multiple arguments together.
-s.newave (May 26, 2008, 07:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Are you suggesting that we could define FARR "macros" (for want of a better word), where the command and various arguments could be defined, eg

--- ---command copy;move;shortcut @E @E

where "command" is the name of the alias (is that the right word), "copy;move;shortcut" are three options that can be selected/typed in for the first argument and the two @E's are type-ins for the second and third arguments (that will have their own histories to select from)???

Hmmm: that sounds awesomely powerful!!

Lashiec:
Either a key or a character, it has to be something accessible. FARR biggest feature is how faster you can do most things, and if we use "exotic" characters, we'll hit a speed bump.

s.newave:
There are so many times while using farr that i think how cool it would be if you could build a sentence by stringing multiple arguments together.
-s.newave (May 26, 2008, 07:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Are you suggesting that we could define FARR "macros" (for want of a better word), where the command and various arguments could be defined, eg

--- ---command copy;move;shortcut @E @E

where "command" is the name of the alias (is that the right word), "copy;move;shortcut" are three options that can be selected/typed in for the first argument and the two @E's are type-ins for the second and third arguments (that will have their own histories to select from)???

Hmmm: that sounds awesomely powerful!!
-Perry Mowbray (May 27, 2008, 09:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly! There is another launcher called Dash which did this very well although it seems to have died off as of late.

but however i'm wondering if FARR should not have other boxes in addition to the search box maybe two more, an argument box and one for FARR specific modifiers
it would nicely separate the strings, would make it intuitive to shift+tab to go back, etc... i would imagine them one on top of the other... (so that resizing would not be an issue, and it gives more room...)
they could also be hidden (optionally) for rookie use...
--- End quote ---

Sounds like a familiar mac app i have heard of :D. My only issue with this approach is that it potentially limits you to 3 actions. Whereas if you look at the app i mentioned above you could have many more steps to use when "building a sentence/macro". It also has a very clever way of handling this as well as providing feedback to the user as to which step they are currently at.

Some potential workflows could be (-> represents a tab):
Email->email address->subject->body<enter> 
Addnote->notename->title->body<enter>
File->zip->filename->directory<enter>
Possibilities are endless.....

This way it is up to the alias/plugin to determine the number of steps needed/required. It is this intelligence that i wish farr had and i keep asking Mouser for  :D

nitrix-ud:
Sounds like a familiar mac app i have heard of . My only issue with this approach is that it potentially limits you to 3 actions. Whereas if you look at the app i mentioned above you could have many more steps to use when "building a sentence/macro". It also has a very clever way of handling this as well as providing feedback to the user as to which step they are currently at.
--- End quote ---

yes you are right the stack approach is very quicksilver-ish  :D

i also know dash (i even bought it ;)) it seemed like an excellent start but like you said it is kind of dying as of now

on thing i love about FARR is that you can specify multiple results for one alias, which is not the case for dash, with farr for a web search i just type : g keyword1 keyword2
then i choose the search engine...

with dash you would have to create a plugins...
Search->keyword1 keyword2->choose engine<enter>

well that's great too, but only if anybody can do it !

Perry Mowbray:
Some potential workflows could be (-> represents a tab):
Email->email address->subject->body<enter> 
Addnote->notename->title->body<enter>
File->zip->filename->directory<enter>
Possibilities are endless.....

This way it is up to the alias/plugin to determine the number of steps needed/required. It is this intelligence that i wish farr had and i keep asking Mouser for  :D
-s.newave (May 27, 2008, 03:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

How about this, in conjunction with your Email, multiple alias...
Email (Work)->joe@work;ken@work;helen@work->subject->body<enter>

Where the work email is a second alias match that has predefined email address that can be selected, or typed over (hey, wouldn't be neat if FARR could update these sentance/macros so that if you enter a new email address FARR asks "Did you want to store this email in the definition?"); plus the ability to have FARR present previous histories of subject + body for that alias would be real nifty.

That would make FARR into a nifty front end to all sorts of batch files, commands, scripts, etc too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version