ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How hot is too hot? Overclocking thoughts...

<< < (3/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
You need to be convinced that the readings are true too ...

My system runs incredibly hot - but then the sensors all read very hot within seconds of switching on. My two GPUs (for example) currently read 62C and 80C

These are normal temperatures for these cards and have been ever since they were new. There is loads of air circulating in my system so it isn't a problem of ventilation. I figure the sensors are crap or the nVidia software does a bad job reading it. My system is currently on 24/7 and the temps record as stable at those temperatures and I get the same values as soon as I am able to open the nVidia panel in Windows.

To start with I was worried but now I just live with it - they have been doing it for over a year now so it can't be too bad!

Armando:
You need to be convinced that the readings are true too ...

My system runs incredibly hot - but then the sensors all read very hot within seconds of switching on. My two GPUs (for example) currently read 62C and 80C

These are normal temperatures for these cards and have been ever since they were new. There is loads of air circulating in my system so it isn't a problem of ventilation. I figure the sensors are crap or the nVidia software does a bad job reading it. My system is currently on 24/7 and the temps record as stable at those temperatures and I get the same values as soon as I am able to open the nVidia panel in Windows.

To start with I was worried but now I just live with it - they have been doing it for over a year now so it can't be too bad!
-Carol Haynes (May 21, 2008, 11:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think I'm going to relax too for now... Although cleaning the fans could be an option.
AFAICT the temperatures have been pretty much always the same since I bought my laptop almost 2 years ago. So... Unless Dell sold me an Inspiron with dusty fans...

GPU now reads 67C and i8kfanGUI tells me that it went up to 73C since last reboot...  :onfire:

wreckedcarzz:
I know my temps are accurate as I have software reading it directly from the output the card normally gives to the ATi Catalyst Control Center - I have 3 external (in the PC, but not *in* anything, just around/near) sensors running, between 82 (HDD) and 95 (CPU) watching the heat that isn't cooled by the fan.

NewEgg is having a sale of new ASUS GPUs (nVidia and ATi) that come equipped with their new "Arctic Fansink". The information states that it can decrease the temp by up to 20C vs stock cooling. I might buy one, but it won't be for a few months at least. :-\

And on the topic of dust, I have read several reviews of my PC case (it was new when I got it, no reviews) most of them say/complain that is is a mass dust vacuum due to the oversized fans (and enormous fan on the top). According to what I have read, it sucks in so much air that it ends up pulling in dirt and debris with it - ending up being dust. And it is true, I have used 3 cans of compressed air on this, as well as a now-really-disgusting toothbrush, and there is *STILL* dust in it, collecting constantly. But I live in a desert, what do you expect? *Wreckedcarzz wipes dust from mesh covering front fan*

Carol Haynes:
I know my temps are accurate as I have software reading it directly from the output the card normally gives to the ATi Catalyst Control Center
-wreckedcarzz (May 21, 2008, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Part of the problem is that these onboard sensors (mobo or graphics cards) aren't always terribly accurate, and they are heavily influenced by components nearby and often poorly calibrated so you get silly temperatures even when cold!

When I bought my current motherboard it was touted as being super cool (and not in the 'cool dude' sense) and includes copper pipes and heat dispersal systems etc. It says you should be able to run it with the minimum of fans etc. Having said that the motherboard sensors report temperatures in the BIOS at switch on that are nearly as hot as my previous motherboard working at full tilt. Either there is something seriously wrong with my mobo (there isn't it runs stable all the time) or the sensors simply report silly values. For example I get a motherboard temperature that is HIGHER than the CPU temperature - which is obviously stupid - but it is just a function of poor callibration and the location of the sensors producing biased and eccentric results.

I think the the important thing is to keep an eye on what your sensors report on idle and under load over a period of time and then monitor what happens and if you suddenly start getting reported temperature climbs you know something is wrong. The raw values are (IMHO) pretty meaningless!

yotta:
well im RLLY woried now, my CPU,RAM and GPU all run at over 90C:S

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version