ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Disabling Quick Launch once and for all - possible?

(1/2) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Hey everybody,

I absolutely hate the Quick Launch toolbar in XP and Vista - not that is isn't easily removed/hidden, but the fact that on an Explorer crash or Registry Compaction it comes back just drives me mad. Please tell me there is some way to permanently get it off; deleted, no longer living, cold dead.

Hacks, mods, registry changes, an exact Vista explorer shell recreation just without Quick Launch... anything to make it never appear again is welcome.

Any thoughts? (I already run Linux too so you can't go there :))

-Brandon

Deozaan:
What happens if you delete all the icons from the Quick Launch, so even if it does show up again it will be empty?

Carol Haynes:
Not sure what will happen if you try this so only do it at your own risk!

Qick Launch is just a folder (in Windows XP is is at C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch)

What happens if you simply close the Quick Launch toolbar in the normal way and then delete the folder?

In case it doesn't work you could try renaming the folder once it is closed, or move it to a different location.

The only issue you may have is that installers sometimes automatically add Quick Start shortcuts - they may then fail or recreate the folder.

cmpm:
found this on it

http://www.msfn.org/board/How-to-disable-quick-launch-in-registry-t113313.html

also i found mention of renaming the quick launch folder will work as Carol suggested

Carol Haynes:
Interestingly that article registry tweak disables ALL toolbars - not just quick launch. Depends really if that is what you want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version