ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Forking in Open Source Projects - Debate

<< < (4/4)

Lashiec:
That's why i was considering a license which gives the current maintainer of an active project some control over when and hot to allow forks.  However, I do recognize that in terms of a free software philosophy, this is problematic because it means closing the safety valve that is always available otherwise with forking.  So I'm not sure what the best solution is..
-mouser (May 17, 2008, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think such license exist for what you mention. In the case you're considering there would no other solution that to find a middle ground, both parts should lose and gain some freedoms to partly achieve their goals. In other words, you should opt for a custom license that let other parties fork your project under a specific number of reasons, or after a discussion between the maintainers of the original project, and those wishing to fork it.

In other news, the newly release Pidgin 2.4.2 implement some of the changes that prompted the creation of Funpidgin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version