ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Pirating abandoned content?

<< < (9/9)

Carol Haynes:
In the UK they often force academics (and many other professions) to not take part in 'other paid work'. Whether that would include academic writing I very much doubt but I am sure that UK universities would take a very dim view of lecturers extorting their students to the point of failing them if they don't purchase a brand new copy of their book.

I certainly had lecturers at university that based courses on texts they had written but you were free to take the course using your own lecture notes, other books or their books (and there were plenty of second/third and fourth hand copies knocking around in a variety dog-eared and other defaced states).

app103:
There are a lot of professors that write their own textbooks for their courses, but I think the vast majority let their students have it at cost, or very low cost, since they are more interested in teaching well and using their book to help accomplish the job. They aren't profit driven.

I have even heard of a teacher that made his 800 page textbook free, not only for his students, but the entire world, in electonic form.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version