ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Need help with Vista Backup

(1/3) > >>

TWmailrec:
I have been developing a program to backup complete XP / 98 windows systems
to a large dedicated partition for zip backups.
Now that I have installed Vista (multiboot system) in a partition, I find it impossible to zip/delete & unzip the vista "Documents and Settings" & "Users" directories from within the XP C: drive.

Can anyone suggest a way to unlock these directories from within XP, or suggest a program that has got round the problem??

nudone:
is this problem due to not having the correct user permissions to view the folders, i.e. it's nothing to do with making them into archives?

not sure if it would work like that but that's my first guess.

MerleOne:
I have been developing a program to backup complete XP / 98 windows systems
to a large dedicated partition for zip backups.
Now that I have installed Vista (multiboot system) in a partition, I find it impossible to zip/delete & unzip the vista "Documents and Settings" & "Users" directories from within the XP C: drive.

Can anyone suggest a way to unlock these directories from within XP, or suggest a program that has got round the problem??
-TWmailrec (May 15, 2008, 08:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

You could try XYPlorer, which can sometimes access special folders where other file manager can't.  And use it in conjunction with mstTotalAccess Pro which lifts all restrictions due to  access authorization.  Both are payware, but there is a free edition for XYPlorer.  Both can be evaluated for a short period of time.

TWmailrec:
Many thanks for the info.
I use the same username (as administrator) across the platforms, but I guess system security retricts access.

I will try to check out mstTotalAccess Pro and XYplorer and see if I can manually perform zip backup/restore first.

MerleOne:
Many thanks for the info.
I use the same username (as administrator) across the platforms, but I guess system security retricts access.

I will try to check out mstTotalAccess Pro and XYplorer and see if I can manually perform zip backup/restore first.
-TWmailrec (May 16, 2008, 09:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

http://www.mstsoftware.com/en/Products%5Cmst-TotalAccess is the link for mstTotalAccess

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version