ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why is all audio on websites so freakin loud?!

<< < (3/3)

Darwin:
I only know about IndieVolume.  It crashes often for me also on a lot of webpages.  Kind of defeats the purpose, but the author is constantly removing bugs, so i can't really complain.
-superboyac (May 18, 2008, 01:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Last update was Oct 31, 2007! Seems to be moribund now... I've repeatedly reported a couple of bugs and conflicts (worst is with ClipMate) with no response. Sad, because it is an otherwise useful application - great idea. At least it is graceful when it chokes on ClipMate. Still annoying though!

mwb1100:
Just an FYI on IndieVolume - the developer has returned.  He's posted an update version 3.0.71.137 that so far has the major improvement for me of not crashing when Flash spits out some audio.  The new release still has some issues (particularly with attempting to mute applications), but as far as I'm concerned this update makes it usable for my purposes.

http://www.indievolume.com/downloads/IndieVolume.3.0.71.137.zip

superboyac:
That would be awesome.  I love Indievolume, and I love how the developer is constantly updating the program, but in the past, it does crash all the time, to a point where I only use it when I know I'll be visiting loud web sites for a prolonged period of time.  So, I'm happy to hear the update has improved that.

wreckedcarzz:
thats weird, for me, I am turning down the volume when listening to music through winamp and vlc, but I have to turn it up on half the crap on the internet, with the exception of random websites that happen to have audio that isn't so dang quiet that I have to turn the volume up to almost max.
-nite_monkey (May 19, 2008, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ditto - I almost always have to turn UP my system's Master Volume level. And then I'll forget I did, and go play a game, and lose my eardrums for several minutes.

And as for automatic volume control - this can be done somewhat through your sound card's (not onboard, you need a "good" sound card with good drivers) options - I have an EQ that is usually active (just a basic "Flat" mode), and several other similar options. But when you want the volume to go way up, you gotta turn off the automatic stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version