ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Super lite PIM? Address book?

<< < (4/5) > >>

sri:
Yes, you don't need to activate/use the web sync feature of EverNote. Are you facing problems getting the clipper to work from within IE6?

kartal:
You can always use autohotkey hotstrings as adress and email book. Probably that would be the most efficient and stripped down adress book since it is text based.

mouser:
If I could wave a magic wand I'd create something like FARR or nDroid but made to scan a couple files of info and return matching lines rather than various directories returning matching files.
--- End quote ---

I keep meaning to write this plugin for FARR or encourage someone else to write it.  A simple text-file information lookup plugin would be so useful and simple.  It's long overdue.

sabot7726:
I keep meaning to write this plugin for FARR or encourage someone else to write it.  A simple text-file information lookup plugin would be so useful and simple.  It's long overdue.
--- End quote ---

I'll beta test it! :)

Nod5:
Sabot, one thing you can do already with FARR: for each piece of information, create an empty textfile and put the information in the filename.

Example:
Smith, John , imaginary street 45 , Town , State , phone=12345 mobile=123456789 smith @domain.com.txt

Put all such files in some folder and set FARR to only search that folder. If the information is in the right format then a script could be made that autogenerates one such .txt file for each piece of information

Mouser, I just thought of a way to read textfiles in the FARR results window (not open them externally in notepad et al):

1. make a javascript plugin that when given a filepath as parameter parses that file and displays it in the results window

example: "plugin_name C:\folder\file.txt "

2. setup a custom hotkey that puts "plugin_name NNN" in the editbox, where NNN is the path of the selected match

To use it, we would:
1. do a regular search for a filename, like "file.txt"
2. select the target file in the results list (not needed if first match)
3. press the hotkey (shift+enter is an good candidate for hotkey)

I think we have the plugin tools already but do we have the path of the currently selected match as a variable for a FARR hotkey to use?

Also, such a hotkey wouldn't need to be global as the current FARR hotkeys are

edit: the Virtual Launch Strings "showfile" could also do this, right? So no js plugin is needed. The steps would be: hotkey is called, puts "SomeAlias SomeSelectedFilePath" in editbox, SomeAlias is set to do "showfile SomeSelectedFilePath", which displays the contents of the file in the results box. If only the hotkey could read and send the selected file's path.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version