ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help! Good flowcharting sw needed

<< < (2/8) > >>

herbiman:
Thanks very much for the suggestions.
Hope there will be a few more.

mouser:
Smartdraw and ConceptDraw are two of the big alternatives to Visio.

I've been a long time fan of Edge Diagrammer since it's early days.  It's no where near as bloated and complicated (or powerful if you want to think of it that way) as the big guys, but it is for me much easier and funner to use, and so perfect for when i just want to do some quick sketching of an idea.

I think you have to ask yourself how you are going to use this tool, and perhaps more importantly, are you going to have to share your work with others.  Visio may be a pain, but it is also commonly installed and used on some large projects, and even if you don't love it, it may make sense to force yourself to learn and use it if you need to work with others on diagrams.

herbiman:
Thanks mouser.

Respect.

We're a small well-funded university-based group, and cost simply isn't an issue. I made exactly the same points about Visio but (especially as I don't actually have to do any of the work --- just gently supervise!) think it's important they should go through a "tools evaluation" phase.

tabletguy:
think it's important they should go through a "tools evaluation" phase
-herbiman (May 09, 2008, 03:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

In that case, perhaps this should also be a discussion of your requirements, and, more importantly, "how will you know when you've picked the right tool"...

BTW, igrafx FlowCharter http://www.igrafx.com/products/flowcharter/index.html is another candidate.

How about having your team up here go through the selection process "live" (i.e. an open discussion)?  It would be interesting  :two:

herbiman:
I'm afraid an open discussion with the group is impossible for a variety of reasons, including privacy and security and time (& 50% don't speak English). And I think we all know that the group's decision will be subjective, probably idiosyncratic, & apparently based on criteria unique to the group. (In the end it's just a bunch of people saying "I like that" or "I don't like that" ... has a faint whiff of democracy?)

I will however, report back (maybe August) on which tool was chosen, and perhaps why.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version