ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > FARR Plugins and Aliases

FARR Plugin Idea Holy Grail - DQSD (400 searches)

<< < (3/5) > >>

mouser:
maybe ecaradec can get us started on this.. as i really think this needs a javascript person at the wheels, which rules me out.

the basic functionality of the dqsd meta plugin would be like this:

* read in all the .xml search definition files in some subdirectory of the plugin
* parse these files and record the the keywords used by each
* when farr informs of a new search string, check if it matches any of the keywords of any of the xml search files
* if so, execute the javascript contained within the search xml file
that's really it for the basics.

extra functionality would be:

* when user just types name of a search keyword, display the description from the xml file in memo/html mode of farr
* expose a few extra functions using javascript that the search file javascript code wants to call occasionally.

joes_garage:

* read in all the .xml search definition files in some subdirectory of the plugin
* parse these files and record the the keywords used by each
* when farr informs of a new search string, check if it matches any of the keywords of any of the xml search files
* if so, execute the javascript contained within the search xml file-mouser (May 06, 2008, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just an idea: Don't you want to prefix these searches with something else, as to avoid clashes with other plugins? i.e. "DQ amaz /books javascript" instead of just "amaz /books javascript".

The advantage I see to that is when dealing with a dqsd search, we could display the possible switches and their meanings in it the FARR panel (e.g. in the case of the amazon search: /books /arts /dvd, etc... )

What do you think?

mouser:
Don't you want to prefix these searches with something
--- End quote ---
yes, that makes sense.

we could display the possible switches and their meanings in it the FARR panel
--- End quote ---
yes exactly, this is easily done by simply sending the description block from the matching xml search file to the FARR memo view.

also, typing "dq" could display a list of all known search xml alias keywords so it would be easy to search for them.  even better,  allow partial searching for keywords so typing "dq a" would show all dqsd search keywords starting with the letter a.

mouser:
I think ecaradec would be the perfect person to take on this challenge if he could be convinced to do it.. as he already has the knowledge of how to execute javascript and interface it with FARR.  I will add the html view mode to make it easier to display search descriptions, etc. and run the search+display entirely from within FARR if desired.

czb:
I was going through the code on their page and I was completely lost with it. Seems to complex for me. I also did not realy get what those XML are for. But to be honest I did not spend much time on it.
So I ment that if there is any real JS coder, it would probably be better to let him code this. But if there is nobody then I will try to code ;)

BTW: I am really not a coder. I have never ever studied any kind of coding and those JS plugins are just a hobby for me. (just take a look at my codes and you will see how messy they are :-[ )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version