ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > FARR Plugins and Aliases

FARR Plugin Idea Holy Grail - DQSD (400 searches)

(1/5) > >>

joes_garage:
Hi all.

There's this launcher kind of a tool that I've been using for years now that is called Dave's Quick Search Deskbar (http://www.dqsd.net/).
The nice thing about this launcher is the hundreds (391 as of version 4.0.0.3) of web based searches it includes!!!  Some of the searches include, but are not limited to: IMDB, All Music Guide, CNN, MSDN, patent search, amazon, eBay, UPS tracking...  The list goes on and on and on...
These searches are written in javascript, and there seems to be some xml format to fully describe them.
So, I don't know if it would be possible to write an abstraction layer to be able to leverage all these searches, but that would be awesome!

cheers,

mouser:
that's a very interesting idea.. worth looking into.

having gone and looked at all the searches available, i think this is a great idea, and should be done.
the only question is whether support for the dqsd searches should be built into FARR core, or should be done as a plugin for FARR (ie a plugin that knows how to load a bunch of dqsd search files and use them).

because the dqsd's use javascript, this might be a good candidate for czechboy's insane plugin coding skills using ecaradec's javascript plugin sdk for farr..

mouser:
We should start a new thread for this dqsd plugin idea and start by begging czechboy and/or ecaradec to work on this.

The dqsd search addons consist of a standalone xml file which includes a description and then some javascript that knows how to execute the search.  You can download and look at them here: http://www.dqsd.net/tools/dqsdtoc/searchtoc.pl

An example of a really simple but useful one is jsx.xml which simply lets you execute any javascript code you type in the search box.

A more complicated one with arguments is dmda.xml which demonstrates how forms are used to get user input, etc.

The nice thing about writing a plugin to handle dqsd search xml files is that it would then open up FARR scripting to be even EASIER for others to write javascript plugins using this interface.  It's sort of one step removed and simplified from the original javascript sdk for FARR by ecaradec.

A wonderful idea, i hope we can convince ecaradec or czechboy (or even someone new) to go for this.

Since I'm back to coding on FARR as we speak, I stand ready to help add any functionality to FARR that is needed.  One thing that might be desired is to add an html-rendering view mode for the FARR window as an alternative to the richview memo view mode -- might be useful for this project and others.

nitrix-ud:

Since I'm back to coding on FARR as we speak, I stand ready to help add any functionality to FARR that is needed.  One thing that might be desired is to add an html-rendering view mode for the FARR window as an alternative to the richview memo view mode -- might be useful for this project and others.

--- End quote ---

html-rendering view mode is a must ;)
showfile is good but showhtml is even better ;)

i already imagine some nice aliases, for example a google image search

showhtml http://images.google.com/images?as_q=$$c&hl=en&output=images&svnum=100&btnG=Google+Search
it would show the images right into FARR !

or one could use http://www.tiddlywiki.com/ as a note manager right into FARR

one could use it as a start page like opera quick dial...

applications are endless...

while you are at it mouser, please fix a small pb concerning showfile and showmemo
if you have a showfile or showmemo command as a second result of an alias (or third, fourth, etc.)
the ESC does not select the search box... so you cannot close FARR by using ESC twice, you have to use the mouse ! to reselect the search box...
very annoying ;)

cheers, nitrix

PS: for the showhtml command, i think that handling links should be closely considered...
my opinion is that new windows should open in the default browser while regular links should open in FARR
and shift+click should force the opening of the page inside the default browser...

one last suggestion there should be a switch when invoking a showhtml command to tell FARR if it should close on click or not
showhtml ....htmlfile.... \CLOSEONOPENINGNEWWINDOW

joes_garage:
The nice thing about writing a plugin to handle dqsd search xml files is that it would then open up FARR scripting to be even EASIER for others to write javascript plugins using this interface.  It's sort of one step removed and simplified from the original javascript sdk for FARR by ecaradec.

A wonderful idea, i hope we can convince ecaradec or czechboy (or even someone new) to go for this.

-mouser (May 05, 2008, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Being a coder myself, I can try to spare some time on it if neither czechboy nor ecaradec is interested.  I don't want to step on somebody's toes here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version