ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How hot is too hot? Overclocking thoughts...

<< < (5/5)

Deozaan:
The bad part is that if the fan does stop on my GPU, and stuff starts melting, it hits not only my $40 USB card, but my $150 X-Fi card and my $110 TV Tuner card. :tellme:
-wreckedcarzz (May 22, 2008, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

It didn't drip on anything else. The fan was screwed onto the heatsink at 3 points. The plastic melted at those three points and the fan fell off. When I looked in my case it looked like someone had used a hot glue gun to attach my fan to the heat sink. It was sticky melted. Not drippy liquid melted.

wreckedcarzz:
Ah, OK. I had to un-overclock from 799 back to 775, due to game crashes. And I also found out that lower RAM OC = higher FPS. Might take the RAM back to stock and just OC the core.

wreckedcarzz:
Reviving the thread, I have some info that may interest people here at DC that have OEM PC's and want to overclock their CPUs...

NOTE: I did this, I have a stable overclock of 273MHz above stock (it is something, im Celeron D so quiet down C2D/C2Q users >:( ;D) BUT I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU FRY YOUR PC.

Guide:
Following the guide here, EXACTLY, you can get a working stable OC: http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/tech-help/18125-overclock-locked-bios-works-branded-pcs-such-dells-gateways-compaqs-ect.html

ClockGen note: If you run into issues and have to reset, and when you try to Apply Selection and the PC freezes, delete ClockGen.exe and re-extract a new copy. It took me 20 minutes and 3 resets to figure this out :P

My Results:
My core clock STOCK: 3457MHz (3.46GHz)
My core clock OCed: 3730 (3.73GHz)
Total OC for CPU: 273MHz (0.27GHz)

So an approximate 9% or so overclock, not bad for a first time OCer (CPU-wise). I took it up to 3750MHz, but the PC froze and the sound card emitted a loud (and annoying) buzzing noise, so I have found my *top* overclock. Horray!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version