topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newspaper Article: Russia Has Turned Kaspersky Software Into Tool for Spying  (Read 4352 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Russia Has Turned Kaspersky Software Into Tool for Spying
Searches exploited popular Russian-made antivirus software [Kaspersky] to seek classified material, officials say
WASHINGTON—The Russian government used a popular antivirus software to secretly scan computers around the world for classified U.S. government documents and top-secret information, modifying the program to turn it into an espionage tool, according to current and former U.S. officials with knowledge of the matter.

That article is paywalled but hopefully someone will find a non-paywalled alternative soon.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Non-paywalled link: http://telegra.ph/Russia-Has-Turned-Kaspersky-Software-Into-Tool-for-Spying-10-11

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Couldn't help overhearing at a local coffee-shop; two IT workers at the next table, talking about this very subject. This is how it roughly went:
Bloke #1: "I wasn't surprised about this Kaspersky hack news. Bound to happen. Typical bloody Ruskies, eh?"

Bloke #2: "Yeah. Same old same old. Can't trust 'em with anything. Nothing's sacred to them."

Bloke #1: "Right. But China's just as bad, of course. We all knew that already. Lenovo."

Bloke #2: "Yeah. Good job nothing like that could be done by government here or in the UK, or US for that matter, eh? [Pause] Ohhh, no..."

[Silence]

Bloke #1: "Right. Hmm. Now what was that old saying about people in glass houses...??

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Things like Equifax should be proof enough that getting in trouble with your personal info is a fact of life in the modern age. The things an anti-virus may or may not do are relative peanuts compared to details in a credit history.