ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Fred Langa bows our (and bikes off in to the wide blue yonder ...)

(1/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Fred has decided to retire. Read his last column here

--- End quote ---

Thanks Fred - I for one will miss you!

Daleus:
The LangaList was a major support tool for me, due to it's relevance and it's no-nonsense approach to tech in general.  Fred was an excellent writer!

I knew the end was coming when he joined the group over at Windows Secrets.  I have been patiently waiting for his articles over there to resurface - I guess I can start breathing again.

Carol Haynes:
I have to confess I much prefered the LangList approach and I subscribed for years - reading just about every word of every newsletter. I also have all his archives somewhere in searchable help file format which was brilliant.

I still have a paid subscription to WindowsSecrets but I won't be renewing now that Fred is departing. I haven't been particularly happy with it anyway - I particularly hate the fact that the paid version is still chocked full of advertising. An advert free paid subscription is what Fred got right and it is a shame WindowsSecrets can't treat paid subscribers in the same way. I find my self looking through WS newsletters in a very cursory manner and only perhaps read one or two items in each issue because of the ad blitz. They don't get archived - just a quick read and delete.

wraith808:
I must admit, I'm the same way as you Carol.  I have a paid subscription, but it feels like a non-paid subscription with all of the ads.  When Brian Livingston first started (I didn't know about Langalist) he was the same way- I guess becoming larger meant they had to find another revenue stream.  These days there's less 'secrets' and more general news that you can find anywhere.

zridling:
Rumor is, Fred bought a winning lotto ticket at the Kwikie-Mart, and will be buying his own island somewhere off the coast of Newfoundland. Lucky sucka.

Thirty years of writing a tech column or newsletter or articles on deadline is sheer torture. I can't believe Fred held up this long. For example, how he had time every week to research readers' specific tech questions and troubleshoot them, I've no idea. Beyond that, I can attest to the brute fact of boredom. After a while, you just want to do something else, change directions. Thus, I've been neck deep in chess play for the past year and it's been a healthy distraction for my brain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version