topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Idea: Insert System Date From Context Menu  (Read 23196 times)

Geminate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Idea: Insert System Date From Context Menu
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:52 PM »

Simply to be able to insert the system date from any/most Windows context menu (global).

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Idea: Insert System Date From Context Menu
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 12:05 AM »
See Now script by skrommel.

Geminate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 12:11 AM »

I would like this built into the left-click context menu of most places you would enter text, mouse controlled.  I also only want the date, since time would be irrelevant where I would use it, in all time zones.  Thanks for the response!

Geminate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 12:13 AM »

I meant right-click!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 02:20 AM »
hmm I wonder is context menu hard

Again a hotkey controlled one from jgpaiva,
A very simple hotkey though, Alt+D - (can be changed as well) so unfortunately prob not what you want
Shows date and time but can be very easily changed to just show date (e.g. I removed seconds)
PasteDate.ahk:
Tom

Geminate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 03:32 PM »

No the context menu is not hard and thank you for your response.

Please refrain from commenting if you cannot be of any aid in giving me a solution for my idea.  I know exactly what I want, and I don't want anything different.  I have a macro keyboard, I can program a key to insert the date - I don't want that.  I want to insert the date with the mouse, from a context menu, wherever text would be input.  Thanks for previous suggestions but it is like trying to sell me a bicycle when what I am looking for is a car.   :)

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 07:32 PM »

Please refrain from commenting if you cannot be of any aid in giving me a solution for my idea.  I know exactly what I want, and I don't want anything different.  I have a macro keyboard, I can program a key to insert the date - I don't want that.  I want to insert the date with the mouse, from a context menu, wherever text would be input.  Thanks for previous suggestions but it is like trying to sell me a bicycle when what I am looking for is a car.   :)

Have you tried a Google search for context menu add item

You may have to do a registry hack though .
Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 08:51 PM »

If it isn't hard why do you need help?

Sorry but since most right click context menus are specific to the application they pop up in how can you add an option to all of them globally.

It is easy to do in some applications but for others/most it would mean recoding the application or at the very least writing some sort of macro within programs that support macros (such as MS Office) to add the functionality ???

Please refrain from commenting if you cannot be of any aid in giving me a solution for my idea.

Bit of a rude response to someone who was trying to help you! Can you keep comments civil around here please.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 09:25 PM »

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 10:26 PM »
I type now` and PhraseExpress expands it to today's date like this -> 04/27/2008
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

Geminate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 01:20 AM »

Have you tried a Google search for context menu add item
You may have to do a registry hack though .

Yes, rather thoroghly.  Thanks.  :)

Geminate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 01:23 AM »
If it isn't hard why do you need help?

Sorry but since most right click context menus are specific to the application they pop up in how can you add an option to all of them globally.

It is easy to do in some applications but for others/most it would mean recoding the application or at the very least writing some sort of macro within programs that support macros (such as MS Office) to add the functionality ???

Bit of a rude response to someone who was trying to help you! Can you keep comments civil around here please.

We were referring to hard as in hard-coded, and no, it is not hard-coded.  No rudeness implied.  :)

Geminate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 01:25 AM »
I type now` and PhraseExpress expands it to today's date like this -> 04/27/2008

I have no idea what you are talking about.  I am a lousy programmer, that is why I am here!   ;D

Geminate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 01:34 AM »

I see a lot of programs I have installed have added context menu selections to context menus that open when you right-click in most text programs and text/message boxes in a browser.  If I knew how to do this I would.  I am looking for someone to give me the solution directly so I can apply it to my systems.  I have looked everywhere I can think of.  Once upon a time I saw a context menu addition that would add three selections to the right-click context menu of text programs.  The selections were: Date, Time, and Date and Time.  I can't find it out there anymore.  This seems to be a simple necessity and I know it has been done more than once before, but damned if I can locate it.   :(

Geminate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 01:44 AM »
Have a look at "Simplest way to add a command to Explorer's shell menu" thread and "Create a containing folder by right clicking on a file" thread for ideas.

Well...thank-you very-much (Elvis style).  You want me actually figure this out for myself?!  :-\
While I really appreciate the help, I just can't be bothered with doing the work to make...what would turn out to be a disaster-piece in my all-thumbs hands.

Help!

I need a solution from someone experienced who would deliver it to my doorstep!  That is why I am here.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 03:11 AM »
hmm I wonder is context menu hard
We were referring to hard as in hard-coded, and no, it is not hard-coded.  No rudeness implied.  :)
no we wasn't ;D
and I suspect it's not easily available cause it's difficult to do as Carol suggests
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 05:26 AM »
Sorry having read this thread over and over I really very unclear what exactly Geminate wants.

From your first few posts you SEEM to want to a 'enter todays date' to as many context menus in applications as possible - is that right?

If it is then I don't think it is possible because almost all applications have context menus that aren't extendable and those that are usually have to be manually configured within the application and how you do that is different for each application.

If all you want to do is quickly enter todays date in text in any application it would be better to do it via a keyboard shortcut and use something like an automatic text expansion tool. That way every time you enter a short code at the keyboard it would be expanded to what ever you want. For example set it up so that when you type .dt the date is entered.

If I havn't understand what you require can you try and explain again and give a couple of specific examples of what you want to acheive.

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 06:39 AM »
Hi,
I suggest you download FileMenu Tools a freeware program
.http://www.lopesoft.com/en/index.html

install and run and go to Tasks on the left handside
Then to Actions and click on Add Command
This will add a menu to your right click menu called add command click on that add command where it appears in the right pane of the page
 highlight the just named Add Command and look at the properties tab at the bottom left of the page where it says General click on the following and change accordingly
Action select... Run Program
Menu Text....Change to Insert Date
Description.....you can add something if you want to but insert date says it all
Icon..... if you know how to add an icon of your choice or just leave
Element Types......you can leave
Folders .....you can leave alone
Files .....you can leave alone
Extensions .... you can add the extensions for the programs that you have installed on your computer such as *txt,*doc,*pdf, etc that is up to you to do.
Only an element..... leave as no

Program Properties

Program to run........ well this I will leave up to you to ask someone here to write a script for you to download that will insert the date on the run command when you select the Insert Date on your right click menu. You will have to put it C/Program Files/***** then browse to select it.

Arguements.....you may or may not have to enter something here it will rely on the script writer
Working Folder....you may or may not have to enter something here it will rely on the script writer

Hope that helps I think it should work.

Whoops I’d better tell you to apply the changes (green tick top left)

Haven’t tried it myself as yet so may need some tweaking by you just trying to help
Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 07:02 AM by nogojoe »

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 02:43 PM »

Not sure if this will help:

https://www.donation...57.msg69966#msg69966

someone noted that it's "shellex", not "shell" at the end of the path to the proper key, I never went back and checked which one my machine uses.  I use this technique to put several .bat/.cmd/.ahk routines in all my context menus at once.

Please refrain from commenting if you cannot be of any aid in giving me a solution for my idea.

I for one learn a lot by other people's suggestions to posted queries.  So I'd prefer it if people continued to offer suggestions even if they don't exactly fit the poster's requirements.  Plus you never know if there's not a better way to come at a solution than the one you originally had in mind.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 02:25 AM »

I have no idea what you are talking about.  I am a lousy programmer, that is why I am here!   ;D

http://phraseexpress.com/

This program is very useful. You can have it type frequently used text simply by typing the abbreviations that you set. One of its inbuilt feature is that of typing out system date and time. So you can set any text like "now`" and it expands it to today's date in real time as you type it.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 02:43 AM »
for those contemplating on doing this context-menu program feel free to take a look here and to end-users, this program - awxShellFish, looks quite promising.

Simplest way to add a command to Explorer's shell menu?

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 03:32 AM »
for those contemplating on doing this context-menu program feel free to take a look here and to end-users, this program - awxShellFish, looks quite promising.

Explain what's wrong with this post.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 06:26 AM »
Phil ... chill!
Tom

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 06:49 AM »
Phil ... chill!

Good job tomos. It rhymes... :D

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 07:07 AM »

Explain what's wrong with this post.

wow, phil, you frighten me.. you're like Judge Dredd. :down:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 08:49 AM by lanux128 »