ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Slowed Down My PC

<< < (3/4) > >>

f0dder:
Very nice that your problems went away, and you didn't seem to have harddrive problems after all!

And yep, "screenshot captor shouldn't cause DMA problems" - that might even be a candid 'customer review' tagline for it ;)

Carol Haynes:
Glad its sorted.

FWIW the PIO revert is usually drive specific - I have two DVD+-RW on one IDE channel and when encountering bad blocks on discs it is not uncommon for one of the drives to revert to PIO but not the other. I think it unlikely that your optical drive would cause your hard disk to change mode.

f0dder:
I think it unlikely that your optical drive would cause your hard disk to change mode.-Carol Haynes (May 07, 2008, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
It can happen, but should only happen if they're on the same channel...

Carol Haynes:
It shouldn't happen with ATA100 cables!

f0dder:
It shouldn't happen with ATA100 cables!
-Carol Haynes (May 07, 2008, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
Actually, if you have drives on the same interface (cable), it still can - windows will see, for instance, the CRC errors from a scratched DVD, and doesn't distinguish them from a bad cable.... and then it drops the the DMA to PIO for both devices on the cable. OTOH, I've never seen DMA->PIO revert from a bad cable :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version