ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Total Commander 7.03 for Windows released!

<< < (4/6) > >>

Darwin:
Agree with Superboyac about TC - I do have a licence for it and it is all that he says. I only ran the trial for SpeedCommander for a week or so - realised that there was no way I was going to spring for it so uninstalled it. Like superboyac, I am a DOpus user... It's AWESOME. So is XYplorer...

Shades:
@fenixproductions:
A lot from TC's interface is borrowed from the old and trusty Midnight Commander in Linux. Also the keys function practically the same.

This is all nice and dandy but I don't think that is a good thing. In my own experience, Putty and MC are very helpful when doing some file managing on a Linux machine (using a Windows PC). But I honestly don't know why the key-layout is like it is.

Speaking for myself, I hate this layout...and TC uses the same layout. For a Linux guy that has to work on a WIndows machine, the TC key-layout will feel like 'home'. Well I'm sorry, but I will not voluntarily suffer this key-layout using native Windows software. I know for a fact that I'm not alone in this.

Selecting of drives in TC 'feels' and functions very much like windows 3.11. There is a good reason why computer users hailed the interface from windows '95 and above. For me that method really does not compute anymore.

All this gives makes TC not "normal" (again speaking for myself). TC's look and feel works for a lot of people and that is a good thing. For me it does not work at all and almost any alternative will be used by me before I even consider to entertain a thought about installing TC, let alone using it. Again, I know for a fact that I'm not alone in this.

Having used DOpus since it third edition (yes, on the Commodore Amiga home computer) you will have an extremely hard time convincing me otherwise. Yes, I know you can change the look and feel from TC to a great extend, expand it with plug-ins etc.,etc.

Here in South America Linux rules and I get 'ridiculed' by my friends here (almost on a daily basis) for using DOpus while they are TC die-hard's. But I honestly feel that I'm way more productive using anything else than TC. If TC makes you more productive, all power to you.

Dirhael:
A lot from TC's interface is borrowed from the old and trusty Midnight Commander in Linux.-Shades (November 08, 2008, 06:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, not at all. Both TC and MC are clones of Norton Commander.

fenixproductions:
A lot of TC's functionality (keys also) is borrowed from Northon Commander and that's the way it worked for a long time. As I used to say: TC is for keyboard- and DO for mouse-oriented people.

Having used DOpus since it third edition (yes, on the Commodore Amiga home computer) you will have an extremely hard time convincing me otherwise.-Shades (November 08, 2008, 06:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Little BTW. It is always strange to me reading about better DO's interface since Amiga times when I see something like this (v. 4)...

Total Commander 7.03 for Windows released!

superboyac:
fenixproductions,
Shades explained pretty accurately what I meant by "normal".  In TC, you can just tell from the UI that it does not exactly conform to the way regular Windows file managers feel and look.  Like Shades said, a lot of people prefer a more Windows-like feel to their file manages.  Personally, I don't mind TC even though I use DOpus 99% of the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version