topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for May 15th, 2008 - Codename "Feathered Friends"  (Read 25773 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for May 15th, 2008
Codename "Feathered Friends"

"If you read nothing else on our site, read our BLOG"
(new rss feed with images)

1. Newsletter Editorial

Hello and welcome to another edition of the newsletter.  It's been three weeks since the last one, but we will be shifting back to a twice-monthly schedule very soon.   I'm going to try to introduce a new random section into the newsletter with each edition, just to keep you on your toes.  This time we lead with a special section on some cool new websites, including a sparkling new re-launch of Gizmo's Tech Support Alert newsletter.

On the software front, after a long period of dormancy, during which I was focused on earning a living, you can expect to see some substantial updates to my software programs in the coming weeks and months.  I'll be initially focused on adding features to my Find and Run Robot (FARR) plugin interface, in recognition of all the amazing work that plugin writers (especially czechboy and ecaradec on the DC forum) have been doing.  If you haven't taken a look at the program yet, now might be a good time - and feel free to make a post requesting a new plugin or feature.

Lastly, the mods and I feel that this is a good opportunity to remind everyone that we take the issue of fake-post spamming on the forum very seriously.  We recently caught someone pretending to offer unbiased advice in response to a planted question, which in fact was just an attempt to get people to buy a product for which they receive a commission.  You can read the thread here and see how the issue was dealt with: we identified the the culprit and filed a complaint against them to the company whose product they receive a commission.  While we welcome company representatives to post on our forum, consider this a reminder that we have a strict policy requiring users to disclose any financial relationship with a product when posting about it.

2. Website Discovery Safari

In this newsletter, we're focusing on some fun new sites that have been mentioned on the DonationCoder forum recently.

3. Your Input Requested

A warm welcome to all the new members who have joined over the last month.  Here are some good topics on which to make your debut post.  Don't be shy, just jump right in, we are always happy to hear from new people.

4. DonationCoder.com Software and Issues

Things are just starting to warm up on the software development side at DonationCoder after a slow period.  Expect serious updates to some of our programs in the coming months, and some new program surprises as well..

5. Mini-Reviews by Members

Mini-reviews are a great resource for people researching software solutions and may be found on the dedicated Mini-Review Board.  Please remember to acknowledge the efforts of the reviewers with a few donationcredits if you find their reviews interesting and/or helpful.

6. Fun, Games, and Humour

One of the things that makes the forum a nice place to hang out is that there is a good balance between serious expert discussion and just plain silly fun (and everything in between).  There are always a few truly sublime discoveries posted by DC members each month, and this month was no exception.

7. Living Room

The Living Room section of the forum is where we discuss general issues that don't really belong in the other, dedicated sections.  It's kind of a catch-all section -- lots of website discoveries and recommendations, etc. This makes it a great place to explore - you never know what you're going to find!

8. General Software Discussion

Almost half the posts on the forum fall into the category of general software discussions, questions, recommendations, etc. This is one of the most active sections of the DC forum and a great resource if you're trying to solve a software or hardware related problem. We get so much traffic on this board that we've split the recent content into to sections in the newsletter - genearl software and specific software discussions.

9. Specific Software Discussion

This section of the newsletter draws attention to some of the standout discussions about specific programs that have been started since the last newsletter.

10. Developer's Corner

A pretty thin set of posts in the Developer's Corner section this month -- why is that?  Remember that this section isn't just for computer programmers, it's for entrepreneurs of all kinds to discuss the issues involving creating things and running a small business.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:51 PM by mouser »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Great newsletter, mouser (though I had an advance viewing!). I like the random section idea - breaks things up a bit and makes reading more interesting  :Thmbsup:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the effort that you put into this newsletter, mouser.

after a long period of dormancy, during which I was focused on earning a living, you can expect to see some substantial updates to my software programs
-mouser
It is a farr, farr better thing that you do...

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for this nice newsletter. I probably spend in average an hour a day here, and... yes, I do go through the newsletter each time it comes out!  ;D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Glad people like the newsletter -- as always your suggestions of ways to improve it are always welcome, either posted here or emailed to me in private ([email protected]).

ps.
One of my biggest frustrations with the internet is how hard it can be for the little guy to get recognized.  If you feel like there is something that should be in one of our newsletters or on our blog, please don't hesitate to contact me about it.

skybright

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank You mouser I always enjoy your newsletter. :Thmbsup: :)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another great newsletter marked as spam by the mail server :(