ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Carbonite Online Backup

<< < (3/6) > >>

Dormouse:
I'm not sure what this policy is meant to do though, as I thought that data storage at $x/month would be worth the same to them as a html storage at the same $x/month? Where do they lose out with just data storage, or is it just data storage is worth more than a website?-Perry Mowbray (April 21, 2008, 03:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

It basically increases their costs by increasing the average amount stored on each account. the amounts of space and bandwidth they quote cannot be economically provided at the price they charge. They rely on many customers not using much - and it is the average usage that decides their actual cost base.

Perry Mowbray:
I'm not sure what this policy is meant to do though, as I thought that data storage at $x/month would be worth the same to them as a html storage at the same $x/month? Where do they lose out with just data storage, or is it just data storage is worth more than a website?-Perry Mowbray (April 21, 2008, 03:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

It basically increases their costs by increasing the average amount stored on each account. the amounts of space and bandwidth they quote cannot be economically provided at the price they charge. They rely on many customers not using much - and it is the average usage that decides their actual cost base.
-Dormouse (April 21, 2008, 04:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, but I meant I don't understand the difference between hosting a website and putting your private backup files on the space?

Dormouse:
Thanks, but I meant I don't understand the difference between hosting a website and putting your private backup files on the space?-Perry Mowbray (April 21, 2008, 05:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I was trying to address.
If everyone only has their websites there, then the space needed is websiteGB.
If they have their backup files there too, then the space needed is websiteGB + backupBG.

If some people only have backups, then it is not necessarily more expensive to host them - but most websites are very small in terms of space, and even smaller in terms of transfer so the average backup usage is likely to be higher.

icekin:
I remember specifically asking Dreamhost about this before I signed up 2 years ago and their staff at that time told me that as long as I did not exceed the alloted storage space, they did not care what I stored on it, as long as it was legal (no warez). Of course, the fine print did say that they reserve the right to change the policies at any time.

I also do not see how they can differentiate between data backup files and web hosting files. All I'd have to do is set up an online File/FTP manager on a domain (like net2ftp) and then access my files through that to claim that I am after all using the files as part of a website.

Dormouse:
I think that is Dreamhost's approach. The T&C are there to protect them if necessary. There are other hosts out there though who will aggressively implement the same terms on accounts that are using more resources than they would like. How can they tell the difference? Well, its their decision with no appeal and no right to a refund if you break the T&C. As I say, I don't believe you will get this sort of problem with Dreamhost.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version