ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Carbonite Online Backup

<< < (2/6) > >>

mnemonic:
Yes, I started using Jungledisk about a year ago after being a Mozy user for sometime.  I've got around six GB backed-up from two machines, with the backup service running once an hour.

Pros (over Mozy):

* Cheaper (for the above, I pay <£1 / month)
* Jungledisk has a web interface and maps S3 to a network drive
* Backups are available from anywhere
* Unlimited number of restores per month (I seem to remember Moxy only allowing 3/month)
* Very active forum and responsive developer
* Allows you to define your own symmetric key for security (can't remember if Mozy does?)
Cons:

* No "free" strorage
* Mozy's interface is much more intuitive, although the developer of Jungledisk is improving this for Jungledisk 2

J-Mac:
I use Mozy - have been for one year.  Paid account is truly unlimited, I guess unless you get way crazy with it.  I currently have a backup of just over 60 GB!  Cost me $54.45 for the first year, paid in advance. I just resubscribed for two years @ $103.95.

No problems at all so far, and support has been very responsive to my questions.

First backup took a little over three days running 24 hrs a day at "Normal" priority when idle, and "Low" priority when I was using the computer.  Now it updates the files once daily and takes about 15 minutes.

Jim

icekin:
I suggest getting a hosting account from Dreamhost, which comes with over a 100GB of storage space that grows weekly. Then, use a program like Super Flexible File Synchronizer to regularly update your remote date with the local one. The real problem is that depending on your upload speed and size of data, the initial synchronization can take a while. I have over 20 GB of personal data alone.

Perry Mowbray:
I suggest getting a hosting account from Dreamhost, which comes with over a 100GB of storage space that grows weekly. Then, use a program like Super Flexible File Synchronizer to regularly update your remote date with the local one. The real problem is that depending on your upload speed and size of data, the initial synchronization can take a while. I have over 20 GB of personal data alone.
-icekin (April 21, 2008, 01:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is not entirely within their Terms of Service which states at point 6:
[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]

I only became aware of this recently with my host Lunar Pages and a few problems I've got with Backup4All, they kindly pointed out that they had a similar policy.

I'm not sure what this policy is meant to do though, as I thought that data storage at $x/month would be worth the same to them as a html storage at the same $x/month? Where do they lose out with just data storage, or is it just data storage is worth more than a website?

Dormouse:
Dreamhost are pretty accommodating though. It's unlikely that they'd see it as a problem with most users, and if they did with you, the'd discuss it before doing anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version