ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Vista Aero vs. Linux Compiz

<< < (10/15) > >>

f0dder:
MrCrispy: remember that nvidia not only makes video drivers, but also chipset and network... those crash statistics were interesting, but afaik did not tell which nvidia drivers caused the crash. Also, it would have been interesting to see per-user frequency of the crashes - obviously nvidia has a higher percentage of crashes simply because they (afaik) has larger market share than AMD/ATi.

Afaik (hear-say, not verified!) Aero is implemented using shaders, and requiring SM2.0 - this has some requirements of the GPU and it's drivers. The newer intel integrated graphics is actually relatively capable, but still with insanely retarded drivers.

I dunno if Compiz is done with shaders or whether it uses fixed-feature OpenGL calls with a whole bunch of CPU massaging...

Lashiec:
Well, the system requirements for Vista Aero mention the presence of Shader Model 2.0, so they must be used for something :)

cranioscopical:
Which laptop does your father have?
-MrCrispy (April 22, 2008, 11:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's a great title for a thread of its own!   :)

MrCrispy:
The GMA X3100 is more than enough for Aero as well as any DX9 game - its actually a pretty capable graphics chip so I'm surprised it gave your problems.

Armando:
Well, flipping windows was not exactly the smoothest with the GMA X3100... But if you say that it should be smooth, I'll have to check that out. Maybe a driver problem...?  :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version