ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Vista Aero vs. Linux Compiz

<< < (9/15) > >>

Armando:
And 90% of the problems people have with Aero performance can squarely be laid at the door of driver developers (Nvidia I'm looking at you!!).
-MrCrispy (April 22, 2008, 01:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Are you saying that Linux drivers are more carefully crafted ? AFAICT, Compiz runs pretty smoothly on 5 years old hardware. The same cannot be said of Aero. Aero doesn't even run that smoothly on my father's laptop, bought a few months ago. And I'm not even talking about the fancy (and sometimes tasteless) 3d effects. Just the exposé-like effects and stuff.

Gothi[c]:
I disagree with Enlightenment being attractive, certain parts are, others suck hard, but it's true that it's quite light, it reminds me of LiteStep, not only for its low footprint, but also the general look.
--- End quote ---

e16 is relatively light, especially compared to gnome and kde today (e16 was considered heavy at the time when it was released). However their newest e17 which is and has been in pre-alpha since forever can get quite heavy, though many of the components can be disabled to make it as light as e16.

With e17 they wanted to redesign the concept of a 'window manager', and they developed a system to draw widgets/windows in a manner similar to Macromedia(or i should now say Adobe) Flash.
The new dr17 is very modular and with all features and plug-ins enabled i'm pretty sure it can be as heavy as - if not heavier than gnome.
If you're thinking of trying out dr17, you'll probably be disappointed because since they haven't even reached beta yet, it's full of bugs, random crashes, and missing functionality. It has been in development since 2000. 8 years and counting, I wonder if they can beat duke nukem forever...

Lashiec:
With e17 they wanted to redesign the concept of a 'window manager', and they developed a system to draw widgets/windows in a manner similar to Macromedia(or i should now say Adobe) Flash.
-Gothi[c] (April 22, 2008, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is that something similar to Plasmoids in KDE 4?

If you're thinking of trying out dr17, you'll probably be disappointed because since they haven't even reached beta yet, it's full of bugs, random crashes, and missing functionality. It has been in development since 2000.

--- End quote ---

8 years, and the page still describes it as pre-alpha... too many development time for being in that early stage, I wonder what happened in the interim (apart from Real Life, of course).

8 years and counting, I wonder if they can beat duke nukem forever...

--- End quote ---

Always bet on Duke Enlightenment ;)

MrCrispy:
Are you saying that Linux drivers are more carefully crafted ? AFAICT, Compiz runs pretty smoothly on 5 years old hardware. The same cannot be said of Aero. Aero doesn't even run that smoothly on my father's laptop, bought a few months ago. And I'm not even talking about the fancy (and sometimes tasteless) 3d effects. Just the exposé-like effects and stuff.
-Armando (April 22, 2008, 01:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was only talking about the technical capabilities of DWM. I believe Linux is lighter than Vista, and explorer in particular is dog slow, so I'm not surprised the 3d desktop experience in Linux is better. Which laptop does your father have? If its only a few months old is it Vista-certified?

And yes, its quite possible Linux drivers are better. Vista introduced (yet again) a whole new driver model (WDDM) which Nvidia and ATI haven't really embraced (partly cause its complex, but mostly cause they are lazy and incompetent). I forget the exact figure but ~80% of Vista crashes were directly caused by Nvidia drivers in the first year of Vista.

Armando:
Which laptop does your father have? If its only a few months old is it Vista-certified?
-MrCrispy (April 22, 2008, 11:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Can't remember if it was Vista certified, but came with Vista and is using the integrated GMA X3100 from Intel. It's certainly low end, but more powerful than a GMA900 which runs compiz very well IMO -- and needless to say, on most laptops compiz runs flawlessly on the gma x1300. Aero is slow and clunky.

And yes, its quite possible Linux drivers are better. Vista introduced (yet again) a whole new driver model (WDDM) which Nvidia and ATI haven't really embraced (partly cause its complex, but mostly cause they are lazy and incompetent). I forget the exact figure but ~80% of Vista crashes were directly caused by Nvidia drivers in the first year of Vista.
-MrCrispy (April 22, 2008, 11:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I understand about the crashes and everything in Vista. I haven't seen any recent benchmarks, but... I don't recall Linux being used for its great video card drivers... Linux experts like Gothi[c] would know better than me though...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version