ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Vista Aero vs. Linux Compiz

<< < (4/15) > >>

Lashiec:
Uh, I thought this thread was about Aero vs. Compiz... ;D

Going back to the original topic of the thread, both fail because they're in opposite corners. Aero is a wonderful technology, but Microsoft couldn't make anything remotely useful with it, Flip3D looks cool at first, but it does not enhance the computing experience in any way, and gets old after a while. Thank God for 3rd party developers (Microsoft, copy Expose, god dammit!).

Compiz is also really cool, but it's cloying IMO. They pack too many animations that does absolutely nothing, apart from getting in the way. One of my friends has this cool looking effect for minimizing windows in her laptop, which simulates a paper plane, but oh my, it's makes computing so slow. Thankfully, most things can be configured, though there are too many. I guess Mac OS X got it right from the start *hides*

BTW, I find funny the guy shows the superior 'hip' effect of Beryl, yet at the same time the guy seems to be working on something for "Rincón Macorisano" :D

Intel has already released very comprehensive full 2D/3D documentation for their embedded graphics
-f0dder (April 14, 2008, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Intel + 3D graphics + embedded chips = Not computable :P. And they had sound cards as well? :huh:

For the record, I'd say that so far I had excellent luck with hardware support under Linux, all of my peripherals and components were supported out of the box, including the printers. Good karma, I guess :)

f0dder:
Intel has already released very comprehensive full 2D/3D documentation for their embedded graphics
-f0dder (April 14, 2008, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Intel + 3D graphics + embedded chips = Not computable :P. And they had sound cards as well? :huh:
-Lashiec (April 14, 2008, 06:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
To be fair, not all of the integrated intel graphics are bad - won't do high-end gaming, but that's not the idea of integrated graphics after all. Also, I think a big part of the problem with integrated intel graphics the last few years is driver-induced, not because of bad hardware...

As for sound, I don't think they've actuall done sound cards (or integrated sound) - I thought they did, but it seems that intel's part is "just" the HD audio bus, while <whatever> other stuff is handled by 3rd party vendors, like realtek and analog devices.

wreckedcarzz:
I can't speak for Compiz, but I rely heavily on AERO anymore to keep my workflow going (open ~15+ windows and try to talk to 5+ people online at once and see how far you go before you ponder insanity). :tellme: Several applications I use rely on the AERO interface to run (Switcher, for example). I hate having to use an XP machine anymore because I lose not only the "feeling", but also the capabilities that I have to utilize. No little pop-up images of programs in alt-tab or over taskbar buttons. No 3D window flipping. ObjectDock window previews don't work without AERO. The list goes on. And plus, it is just way more eye-catching than a big blue taskbar (or the gray one on Xubuntu). :)

Armando:
I can't speak for Compiz, but I rely heavily on AERO anymore to keep my workflow going (open ~15+ windows and try to talk to 5+ people online at once and see how far you go before you ponder insanity). :tellme: Several applications I use rely on the AERO interface to run (Switcher, for example). I hate having to use an XP machine anymore because I lose not only the "feeling", but also the capabilities that I have to utilize. No little pop-up images of programs in alt-tab or over taskbar buttons. No 3D window flipping. ObjectDock window previews don't work without AERO. The list goes on. And plus, it is just way more eye-catching than a big blue taskbar (or the gray one on Xubuntu). :)
-wreckedcarzz (April 14, 2008, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is all fine if you bought your computer/laptop this year. Compiz-fusion is much more "old hardware" friendly than aero, and, yes, compiz is damn fluid (and IMO, MS should be ashamed of Aero... All that money for... zzzzwwwaaaattth??). In any cases, I like/am used to my old windows classic theme... sorry!  :-[

[off-topic] I haven't been using Linux a lot recently. Like Carol and others, I'm following the progress but have become a bit tired of trying to use it on a regular basis -- haven't got to many hardware problems with my dell Inspiron 6400 (really -- see my comments on that subject in another thread), but there are these software I just can't stand NOT having.  :-[  However, I'm not loosing hope... To be fair, I find that Linux and OpenSource software have made incredible progress in the last 8 years. Really. Much more than windows, I'm pretty sure (compare the last PCLinux OS, Ubuntu or Mandriva with Caldera's Open Linux, or the old RedHat and Suse... And compare Windows NT 4.0 with XP/Vista. See which one progressed more... in terms of user friendliness, flexibility, stability, security, etc.). So I'm still hoping. Like Carol said : "Actually that is the point - I DO WANT LINUX."

And just for the sake of healthier (desktop) computing... Linux is an incredibly important player. No? [/off-topic]

PS : BTW the blue screen at the end of the video (zaine's link)... priceless. Buggy closed source software ? You bet. I've had sooo many bugs in software that I've paid for. Let's talk about those... Shall we ?

JoTo:
Can't understand all this fuzz!

For me, eye candy is absolutely useless! I need Aero or any other graphical hype like a fish a bicycle needs. Meaning: NEVER!

There were really good programs, i uninstalled again only because their authors have the opinion to invent and use new graphical sensations in their GUI. Even if the program itself was a real pearl.

I want to work with my pc and so i prefer a fast, informational GUI without any whistles and bells. The only case i need eye candy is, when i play a game and need the "game atmosphere" as well. But then the games normally bring its own GUIs with them.

Go away from me with this cpu and hd-space consuming, irritating, candyshop, good for kiddies stuff.

Windows-XP Classic style for my desktop pc and bash shell for my linux server is all i need.

Sorry, call me a dinosaur or a philistine! But this is my opinion!

Greetings
JoTo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version