ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Moving selected files to date based folders

(1/5) > >>

kartal:
It would be neat to have an explorer right click funtion that can move files in a folder to date based(monthly, yearly or user defined intervals) folders. So you select the files run the app, select the interval, the software checks modified or creation dates of files, creates date absed folders and move files in proper folders.

Armando:
I'm curious : there are probably many uses for such a utility, but why will you (personally) want to move files to date "based" (identified?) folders? For archiving purpose I guess?

kartal:
Yes archiving mainly. Sometimes I endup with many files within one folder. Best way would be cataloging based on dates I assume.

Armando:
I see. Yes, this is how I do it too -- but for backup or archiving on external media only. Otherwise I don't bother. A good  naming scheme and desktop search software are my friends as far as my internal hard drive is concerned.  :)

SirSmiley:
Here's an extension that Lifehacker covered recently
http://lifehacker.com/378186/save-time-organizing-files-with-dir-utils-right+click-tools

Haven't tested this myself...yet.

I may already have a standard vbs drop script that you could put in the sendto folder.

Is the directory structure something like this:
Year|Month|Day
Eg. 2008|04|10

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version