ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Q-Dir (File Manager)

<< < (3/6) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

Impressive, thanks, been out six months.  Note also that there are about five other smaller utilities.  Have you tried them ? Any idea whether the author has a commercial model, is it a hobby, or what ?  And a webforum would be an excellent addition and an English website.

It looks to me that this may be a solid contender in the "totally free, multiple puters, even at work, no nags, no commercial  legality issues, no lesser restricted program" freeware niche.  A file manager you might install on all your puters and also offer as an alternative to all the users in the office.

FreeCommander seemed to be a solid contender for that niche, which is often overlooked in the discussions (e.g. it is easy enough to download and use the excellent Total Commander but it doesn't really fit the niche).

Anybody want to compare with FreeCommander and any others in the niche above ?

Shalom,
Steven Avery

rjbull:
I took a very quick look; it's definitely one of the souped-up-Explorer ones, as opposed to Norton Commander ones.  Most unusual feature seems to be up to four directories on one screen.  The only one I've seen with more is mtExplorer with up to six, and free and portable, though its feature set is minimal.

I don't think I'd use Q-Dir partly because it seems not to have a built-in file-finder, something I expect in a file manager.  Depends on what you want.  If you stick to freeware, it's up against very capable alternatives such as XYplorer, which is based on file-finding.

Dormouse:
Who needs a file finder when you have a built in magnifier? :)

Seriously, I've found that I have had it open most of the time since I found it here. I already have Dopus - and still use that for a lot of things but the flexibility of the 4 panes for drag and drop etc is very useful to me. Haven't wished for more than 4 (yet).

I don't need an integrated file finder. I have SearchGT (& Locate32) as well as Dopus.

Darwin:
The only one I've seen with more is mtExplorer with up to six, and free and portable, though its feature set is minimal.
-rjbull (April 17, 2008, 09:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are two shareware file managers that feature multi-directory views that I am aware of: FileQuest (up to 4) and FileBoss 1.7 (I have 7 directories open at the moment). FileBoss 2, which was just released, does this as well but surprisingly neither as simply nor as user-friendly. In fairness they've added in grouped tabs...

I had Q-Dir installed for a bit and played with it a bit. Dormouse, what is the magnifier feature you refer to? I didn't see it/play with it when I had Q-Dir installed...

Dormouse:
Dormouse, what is the magnifier feature you refer to? I didn't see it/play with it when I had Q-Dir installed...-Darwin (April 17, 2008, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Top right corner. Click on the magifying glass and you have a - wait for it - magnifying glass to move around the screen; click again when you are doing it and it switches off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version