ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Mikogo: share screen or access remote PC

<< < (8/9) > >>

Steffen_Mikogo:
Mikogo is a dream come true.  I got my mother in law's laptop fixed up from 2500 miles away, and now she (finally) thinks I'm not just good-looking, but smart too!
-mrainey (May 19, 2008, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hey
mrainey, it's great to see that you're really liking Mikogo. And great to know that we're bringing families closer together  :D

Mikogo seems really nice.

I finally opted for logMeIn though -- my mother and father virtually have nothing to do, except from running the little LogMeIn applet. But I had no real reasons for choosing it over Mikogo as I hadn't tried it!! LogMeIn just worked so I thought... I might as well keep it...
-Armando (May 19, 2008, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Armando, if you do have a moment to check out Mikogo, feel free to let me know how it goes for you. I'm not sure of all the needs you may have for a screen sharing program. However if you're ever searching for a free screen sharing program where you can switch presenters, access remote control, select only certain applications for sharing, transfer files, and is Skype compatible - then i hope you'll consider using Mikogo.

Cheers,
Steffen

Armando:
Yes, Mikogo actually seems like it would be good for my own personal use... I'll check it out when I have the time. Thanks!

kartal:
What is the difference between Mikogo and UltraVnc? I use ultravnc here in my lan.

Steffen_Mikogo:
... Just now I discovered the Mikogo Skype Extra--..-yksyks (May 02, 2008, 03:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

https://extras.skype.com/1610/view :
 (see attachment in previous post)
+ same Skype page:
 (see attachment in previous post)
-Curt (May 09, 2008, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just wanted to quickly let you know that there is a new URL for the Mikogo Skype Extra: https://extras.skype.com/1672/view
Sorry that i did not inform you all about this earlier.

Yes, Mikogo actually seems like it would be good for my own personal use... I'll check it out when I have the time. Thanks!
-Armando (May 20, 2008, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Great, feel free to let me know how it goes when you have a moment.

What is the difference between Mikogo and UltraVnc? I use ultravnc here in my lan.
-kartal (May 21, 2008, 12:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

As a Mikogo Team member i would probably have a biased view, but i'll just quickly let you know a couple of things that may interest you about Mikogo:
Ports - Mikogo uses standard ports (80; 443). When connecting over the Internet with VNC, you would have to open other ports to obtain a connection with another's computer. This is not always possible from all computers. Also, not everyone knows how to do this. Mikogo's ultimate advantage is that it uses the standard ports which are already in use when you're browsing the Internet. So using Mikogo is configuration and setup free. With just a couple of mouse clicks you'll automatically be in a screen sharing session.
IP addresses - with Mikogo you don't need to know the other computer's current IP address to gain a connection.
Security - Mikogo uses an industry-leading 256-AES end-to-end encryption.

If both you and the user of the connecting computer know how to configure and open ports, then VNC could work ok for you. Likewise if you are using it just on a LAN and not over the Internet. However VNC is more for the advanced experienced users, whereas Mikogo was designed for everyone as a tool that simply works: free and easy-to-use.
When you want to connect to a friend's computer over the Internet, give Mikogo a go. And when you have a moment, feel free to let me know how you find it.

Hope that helps

Cheers,
Steffen
Mikogo: www.mikogo.com

Carol Haynes:
I can confirm what Steffen is saying - Mikogo is VERY simple to use (probably less than 2 minutes to download and configure). All the other users you are conecting to are the session ID number and a link to the no install client app - so they just click a single webpage link and type a numerical code that you give them - they are then up and you are connected. You can even request a fixed session ID so you can always use the same one!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version